cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance marketing call - transcript

tsphillips
Grafter

Nuisance marketing call - transcript

Hi. We are calling to make you aware of a new government scheme that enables home-owners and tenants who are in receipt of state benefits to upgrade their old but inefficient boiler free to a new category A condensing boiler. This scheme is available for households that have LPG and oil boilers only. To find out more information regarding the scheme please press 5. To be removed from our calling list, please press 9.

This is a full transcript of an automated pre-recorded marketing message that played when I answered my home telephone about twenty times over the past two months. The caller's number was always withheld.

I have reported these nuisance calls online five times to the Information Commissioner's Office so that they can take action. (I have not pressed 5 or 9.)

If you receive the same nuisance call and report it to the ICO, please feel free to copy and paste my transcript into their online report form.

12 REPLIES
RealAleMadrid
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Nuisance marketing call - transcript

Why are you posting this? Everyone and their dog gets these calls and ICO is the definitive chocolate fireguard and will do nothing at al to stop them.

tsphillips
Grafter

With respect and IMHO, my post is more constructive than yours!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

i use TPS and Dont get any marketing calls from anyone Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
tsphillips
Grafter

Good.

I too registered with the TPS (years ago).

Fixes: 121

I'm not registered with the TPS and rarely get marketing calls. Beginning to feel left out nowCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mav  Perhaps you should put your number on one of those colourful cards that there used to be dozens of in phone boxes.  They might not be the kind of calls @tsphillips is receiving, but they might make you feel less left out.

Fixes: 47

I have a BT 8600 so I may get nuisance calls but the phone takes care of them with an appropriate action.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Had one of these calls yesterday from 0116 473 5485. Next time they call they'll be getting an earful with my Acme Thunderer whistle.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

rongtw wrote:

i use TPS and Dont get any marketing calls from anyone Thumbs Up

I have been registered with TPS for around a decade, it didn't seem to make much difference and even those ringing admitted they take no notice of it. I was getting up to ten nuisance calls per day.

Entirely solved now, in as much as my phone system blocks all of them. I bought a set of BT 8500, which blocks all callers not on my allowed to call list. Others can get through, but only if they present a number and follow a pre-recorded instruction to state their name then press #. Those who don't get through, have their number (or lack of a number) listed.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

No idea if I get any on my landline or not as I haven't had phone plugged into it for longer than I can remember.

Never get any on my mobile.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Actually, I do get the occasional marketing call on my iPhone, maybe one or two a month.

Whilst I vaguely understand where they get land line numbers (although mine is ex-directory) I do wonder where they obtain mobile numbers.

Fortunately they can be blocked.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I suspect they for the most part, just autodial entirely random numbers - unless you are already on a list. On one mobile phone I too get similar one or two a month, but on another it has never had one of these callers. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.