Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance letters from companies

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Nuisance letters from companies

My eldest daughter, 19,  has received 2 letters from Sky (advertising free sport if you take broadband) and TalkTalk youview and broadband.  She doesn't know anytime in the past going onto sky or talk talk except logging into the sky website to confirm change with her emails, but never talk talk.  She didn't even know who they were. 
Any ideas on how to stop em? Its getting on her nerves.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Nuisance letters from companies

They have probably got her name and address from some other "grab" advertising company that sells on your details... or possibly from the census....
either way.. just write across the front of it,  R.T.S.  ( Return to sender) and highlight the return address usually on the back... bung it back in the post box...
that way, they have to pay for two lots of delivery... also.. you might find it will stop...  You could try writing to their advertising department to remove the name and address from  their mailing list...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@Shutter forget about that trick, will make sure that if she gets another one that she'll put R.T.S on and highlight return address where possible.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Before RTS'ing it, steam it open and slip in a bit of metal to add to the weight and then seal it again - it'll cost em more!
That or you wrap a phone book (with the letter inside), put their address on it and write 'Important legal documents enclosed' on it somewhere to guarantee they'll accept and pay it - then chuck it in the post box without any postage  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Any ideas on how to stop em? Its getting on her nerves.
Jamie

I think it would be very hard or almost impossible to stop this type of letter.
I just pop it back in the post box.  As previously stated it will cost the company additional postage but also they will have to open each one up just in case there is a genuine response from someone who wants their service Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sprite
That or you wrap a phone book (with the letter inside),

that is one (undocumented) way to get rid of old phone directories Cheesy
Community Veteran

I don't know how true this is but I was told of one person who would use the prepaid envelope from a company and enclose a banana skin with a note saying that he had got rid of their junk so could they get rid of his Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Any ideas on how to stop em?

Has she registered with the MPS? (Imperfect but may help)
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
Did she opt out of the edited electoral register?
http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/electoral_register
kmilburn
Grafter

I've printed a batch of labels, to attach to junk mail and re-post them.
Time will tell if they're effective or not.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
I don't know how true this is but I was told of one person who would use the prepaid envelope from a company and enclose a banana skin with a note saying that he had got rid of their junk so could they get rid of his Grin

I like it. There are so many things you could get rid of this way Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
I've printed a batch of labels, to attach to junk mail and re-post them.
Time will tell if they're effective or not.

Thats a great sticker / image. I will be printing a few of those off myself I think!
Community Veteran

Whilst it may make you feel good by putting those stickers on... it also gives the post office an excuse for dumping it, when you have put it back in their box....
If you treat it as "undelivered mail, Return to Sender" I think they have an obligation to deliver it back to them...
Shouting out loud that it IS ..... JUNK MAIL .... could be counterproductive,.. !
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It is also addressed to my daughter in the letter as 'Dear Louise'
Louise is my daughters name obs
Community Veteran

I refer you to my earlier posting, then.....

Quote from: shutter

They have probably got her name and address from some other "grab" advertising company that sells on your details... or possibly from the census....
You could try writing to their advertising department to remove the name and address from  their mailing list...
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Whilst it may make you feel good by putting those stickers on... it also gives the post office an excuse for dumping it, when you have put it back in their box....
If you treat it as "undelivered mail, Return to Sender" I think they have an obligation to deliver it back to them...
Shouting out loud that it IS ..... JUNK MAIL .... could be counterproductive,.. !

In fairness I think it's quite likely that RM will dump it the moment they see it was addressed to 'The householder'.