cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance debt collection calls

randpwar
Grafter

Nuisance debt collection calls

I’ve had a few calls on my mobile lately and googled the number to find it’s a debt collection agency that I’d previously never heard of and have no dealings with. I’ve blocked the number but they have now started leaving voice mail messages. These aren’t a big problem as I just delete them and I’m guessing that they’ll give up fairly soon, but, given that we don’t have any debts (other than mortgage I suppose, but we’ve never missed a payment) or dealings of any kind with any DCA, why do they apparently randomly pick a mobile phone number and leave voice mail messages asking the recipient to call them back ‘urgently’?
Do they really think that I’m going to send them money in payment of a debt I don’t have? If it continues should I threaten to take out a ‘harassment’ injunction against them?
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Nuisance debt collection calls

have they got your name correct? i have a lot of calls to my phone asking for a brett saunders from various debt places - i suspect he has given out a made up number to these people.
Will Moderate For Thanks
randpwar
Grafter

Yeh, I should have pointed out that I’ve not actually spoken to them as initially I had a missed call from them and Googled the number and promptly blocked the number. I’ve had no contact with them other than the calls and voice mails......I’m sure they’ll give up soon
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had a bill from Npower for £3500 in Jan 2012. Some one in a business not far from us fraudulently used our address as a contact point when they closed the account moved out of their business (butcher). Fortunately Npower have been very good and removed our address from their records. They've also given us a letter to confirm.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I think you need to speak to them and make it clear they are mistaken before things escalate.
I had a few letters, wrong name right address, from a similar agency. Ignored them but then a letter arrived saying bailiffs would be calling if the debt is not paid soon.
I made sure I replied to that explaining their mistake (and pointing them in the right direction) and never heard from them again.
Better that than arguing the rights and wrongs with some strangers on my door step.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
I think you need to speak to them and make it clear they are mistaken before things escalate.

On the contrary, we've had a lot of debt collectors chasing previous 'owners' of the current and last phone number. Despite telling them repeatedly that the people they're after have long gone they still refuse to accept it. I even had one of them once say "Oh come on <debtors name> we know its you mate"  Shocked. The first number was bad enough so we go BT to change it and then it got worse! Instead of calls for Mr X, we now get calls for Miss, Mrs, Mr Y and Mr and Mrs Z  Undecided
Another time I was outside when 2 bailiffs turned up. One of them just looked at me, made an assumption and said "<debtors name>? I'm a court appointed bailff and I'm here to make an arrest". I showed them ID to prove I wasn't the person they wanted and they apologised and left but I  was left wondering how the two of them intended to take the person in a Berlingo van with just two front seats  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

I've just rung them and the very pleasant lady is going to remove my number from thier list  Smiley
Community Veteran

Glad it worked out for you Randpwar.
Sprite you must have been talking to the wrong people.