cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls to landlines ( Interested to hear anyone's views, experiences or more tip!!)

nevittps
Hooked

Nuisance calls to landlines ( Interested to hear anyone's views, experiences or more tip!!)

My tips

1. Register with Telephone preference service.  That should cut down the number of marketing type calls

2. You can become x directory. They can't just look you up.

3. Avoid leaving number on line if at all possible.

4. Sign up to receiving pre fix number display. You decide whether to answer call or not. If in doubt don't answer!

5. Have your answer phone on so if you don't answer and they leave a message, you can decide if it is legitimate or not.

6. If in doubt check the last number by googling it.  The numbers are usually traceable.

7. If your sure they are a nuisance, simply use the 1572 service to effectively divert them from ever ringing you back.

8.  Report them to which, who are running a campaign.  Sign their petition if you like.

(emboldened are services plus net already provide)

By following the above I can honestly say that I only ever get messages that I suspect are scams from time to time and they usually turn out to be just that.  For example today I receive an 01247 number (Old Co Down area code BT, that has since changed) and found out it was from the far east using google.  Yesterday I had one claiming to be filing a law suit against me from HMRC, also a message but turned out to be another scam.  I am only doing this so people can raise awareness of these issues.  In fact as I write this out I have just received an international call literally, that I am about to repeat the above on lol)

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Nuisance calls to landlines ( Interested to hear anyone's views, experiences or more tip!!)

so even with all your "tips" you still get the calls.... what super advice!

with regrads to your first three tips, they are useless ,as the people cold calling you don't abide by TPS, don't use the phone directory to find numbers and don't use forms you've filled out to find numbers.
they are simply calling random numbers, from a system that is generating the numbers to call.
Fixes: 124

Re: Nuisance calls to landlines ( Interested to hear anyone's views, experiences or more tip!!)

I do 2, 3, 6 & 7 and get maybe two or three such calls a month.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nevittps
Hooked

Thanks for your reply Chenks.  Yep, your right about the first three.  Historically included lol.

Some people have gone the other way and decided to turn themselves into the nuisance as the receiver.  There are countless examples of this from America which I think are quite hilarious and can be found on line.  

I wouldn't recommend that though, would you?

Community Veteran

my mother has never been on the internet (and as such telephone never filled out on web form), is on TPS but can get at least 1 call every day (usually always between 5pm and 7pm).

so with these type of "nuisance" calls it really has very little to do with TPS, ex-directory or using the number online.

however, on one occasion an apparent "nuisance" call turned out to be not a nuisance at all.
the bank called to advise there was a PPI refund available. call was answered and hung-up. the bank (and it actaully was the bank) called back straight away and quickly said don't hang up it's not a nuisance call. end result a few days later a cheque from the bank for £10K was delivered.

PPI hadn't been claimed, the bank must have actioned it themselves.
Fixes: 47

I let my BT8600 phone take care of junk calls.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

is it just me that is skeptical about this thread?
the topic being about nuisance calls and the starter of the thread only having just signed up and the last three letters of username are TPS.
nevittps
Hooked

That is incredibly coincidental.

My initials are PSN.  That could be shorted to PN as in Plus net.  Also as you have rightly pointed out my user name ends with tps. My name is Paul and my middle name is in fact Stephen.

I am now laughing out very loud indeed.

Fixes: 124

Ironically about 5 mins after posting I got a call from a number I didn't recognise and the line just went dead.

I seem to be in a minority as it just doesn't phase meCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Been with TPS years now and dont get any unwanted calls

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nevittps
Hooked

Or he who cannot walk at the moment is sat still preventing any specific annoying phone call from happening more than once.

nevittps
Hooked

Love Plus net. I'll never mention any other company on here, lets just say they're not worth it!!

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Strat wrote:

I let my BT8600 phone take care of junk calls.

Bought one of these the other day ,

Much cheaper ( paid £22.99 free delivery)  and better than buying a separate call blocking device 

Got it from here, refurbished like new with a 12-month warranty 

Mike
nevittps
Hooked

Glad there are phones out there that do the work for you.  I'm just amazed at what must be happening when I'm getting out and doing ordinary everyday things.  I like the pre number display service.  I pay my line rental annually and always before the actual date of the increase in charges.  That way I sort of saving money so that I can enjoy the odd little extra service without the concern of any extra costs.  I have no patience to sit there working out how to function a phone into performing.  My phone can block too, but its too hideous compared with 1572.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We rarely use the landline anymore - mobiles are so much easier! For some reason companies are reluctant to ring our mobiles too. We used to get tons of calls on the landline, the TPS did cut that down a bit but we still got a lot. Eventually though they just seemed to fade away - presumably from boredom / lack of sales.

The main problem was the pesky debt collectors. Even now they still ring every couple of months though after many years of "No this isn't their number anymore" they seem to have taken the hint.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!