Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance call blocking

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 1

Nuisance call blocking

My mother-in-law often receives scam and telesales calls, and could be considered vunerable. I am looking into options, including trueCall devices and phones which have similar technology installed. The latter is not ideal as this will involve teaching her to use a different phone to the one she is used to. The trueCall devices appear to fit the bill, but there are two versions, trueCall Call Blocker and trueCall Secure. I cannot find any significant differences between the versions, the latter does seem to have call recording which we don't think is necessary. 

Does anyone on here have either of these devices, and is willing to provide feedback?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Nuisance call blocking

Are you talking about a landline phone, or a mobile phone?

My missus used to get t a lot of these calls... on her mobile... I kept repeating... "If they do not show who is calling on the screen ( i.e. from the internal phone contact list...)  Do not answer... any calls that have not been answered.. I would then check on line for the "Who called me"... and then enter that into the contacts list as DNA 001      ( do not answer ).. if they called again...  DNA 002  DNA 003..

Obviously, if your mother-in-law is on her own this will be difficult to implement...but the first part should be easy enough..any other calls.... she could always ring you to say ... I had a call from such and such a number please check it for me.... ask her to keep a list on paper of the numbers.... if they turn out to be genuine, then you can advise her to ring them back, and at some later time,... add that number to her contact list ....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Don't know of course the abilities of your ma in law but we have BT Call Guardian on our landline which works well enough.

No spring chickens ourselves but after setting it all up we've had no trouble being able to use it. The other option is just to fit a bog standard answer phone (if there are such things these days) and tell her not to answer the phone and then check if she recognizes for a call-back?  Call charges involved of course, but it might be an idea.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

Are you talking about a landline phone, or a mobile phone?

As trueCall has been mentioned @shutter this is almost certainly referring to landline calls.  Wink

My missus used to get t a lot of these calls... on her mobile... I kept repeating... "If they do not show who is calling on the screen ( i.e. from the internal phone contact list...)  Do not answer... any calls that have not been answered.. I would then check on line for the "Who called me"... and then enter that into the contacts list as DNA 001      ( do not answer ).. if they called again...  DNA 002  DNA 003..

I guess that's one solution if those calls can't simply be blocked in the phone app itself.  It might be worth checking if that's possible because then her phone won't even ring.  Wink

maranello
Pro

@shutter , @Minivanman 

Thanks to both of you for your replies/suggestions. I should have been clearer that it is her Plusnet landline that we are looking to protect. She has memory problems, so more often than not forgets the advice we give her, to either wait for the answerphone to kick in so she can hear who is calling, or to look at the number on the caller display. We already have Plusnet call protect enabled, with international calls barred, but this is about as far as we can go with this without potentially inadvertently barring her friends. TPS is enabled, but this is about as effective as a leaky bucket.

trueCall has some good reviews and facilities that her daughters or I could use to manage remotely, but costs £100 pounds to buy plus £20/yr after the first year to keep the remote management account active. Not a great deal of money for peace of mind, but if it is not the best product for her condition it is a lot of money to be under utilised. Hence the request for feedback from any users on this forum.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

OK... I do not know what "TrueCall" is... so was just making suggestions.

Another "idea"... why not get ALL calls diverted to your mobile, ... you can then "assess" them and if it is a "genuine" call... you can get her to ring the caller back... after about a month, or so, probably won`t get any more scam calls, and the diversion could be removed.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@maranello 

Not sure, but given the situation is it possible to have her calls routed through say yourselves by way off an intercept? 

Off the wall so maybe impractical. 

Trust you get of resolved because it is frustrating when it happens to a relative. 

PS. Should have read the @shutter post first, he's way ahead as usual!  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@maranello  Probably not what you want to hear but if it is causing so much grief, why not do away with the landline option altogether and just have a mobile? Admittedly not a panacea for everything but I go by my experience. Landline (now done away with entirely), I use to get the odd spam call every so often. Mobile? I can't recall the last one that I've had - must be years ago. Unwanted international calls? Nil.

No additional add ons required either. Cost wise probably about on a par with or even cheaper than a landline would cost over a year. Advantage of a mobile, you can see who is calling - assuming the caller is in the contacts list i.e. friends, family etc, their name comes up. You could even put a photo of their face to the number.

Likewise, I don't answer unknowns. If they leave a message on the voicemail I might call them back. Otherwise if they are a total unknown and leave no message and call twice, they get blocked. The phone doesn't do anything then when that number calls. But then the phone needs putting on charge every so often - too difficult maybe. Depends on how often one goes around. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
maranello
Pro

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, some food for thought there.