Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls.. an end in sight ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nuisance Calls.. an end in sight ?

Nuisance Calls and Texts .. an end in sight ?
Probably not, for for a while anyway !!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2967040/Will-FINALLY-end-nightmare-nuisance-calls-New-law-ma...
12 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Nuisance Calls.. an end in sight ?

given that it would be impossible to enforce fines by an onshore division against the activities of an offshore division for a multinational company I'd guess virtually impossible.
dropping the requirement to prove that an individual has been harassed by a single company to the point of suffering severe mental problems by nuisance calls is a good thing though, maybe now i'll stop getting calls from a certain north London based tele sales outfit staffed by people with a non English dialect who I have reported several hundred times for breeching the TPF guidelines......

one can live in hope
I have the unfortunate position of not being able to disable the landline phone as you have done due to it being used for legitimate contacts
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kremmen
Rising Star

As I've posted before, I try and waste as much of their time as possible and what I am now finding is that my nuisance calls have fallen dramatically.
It's dropped from 2 a day when I first retired and had time to 'play' to 2 a month now.
Let's be careful out there !
Razorback
Grafter

I have noticed there has been a marked decline in calls over the past few months. Most of the calls come during the daytime and just hit the answer machine. Not had a call in the evening for a while now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ansaphone with caller display works wonders, if it ever displays international or number withheld then we leave the ansaphone to pick it up, rarely do these firms leave a message, if by some odd chance it is important we hear the message being left and pick the phone up.
janitor
Grafter

Wont have much effect,as a lot of these are from overseas call centres and the uk enforcement agencies have very little power to act on these. Can't remember when i last had a cold call from a uk based call centre.
Kremmen
Rising Star

That's what I think as well. They know about TPS so do it from offshore. They annoy me and waste my time so I return the compliment, it's the only ploy they understand.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have mentioned once or twice in this forum that some Uk cold caller are wiseing up and using Number Withheld, in the knowledge that many people who have call blockers don't block these calls as other organisations such as doctors and community nurses routinely use Number Withheld for their calls. Block one and you block them all.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

which is a huge problem in reporting nusance calls, perhaps if the call data logging tables were updated so customers could bring up a list of received calls and ping them by time/date (auto report cold callers via web interface) it would be ok....

right now there isn't a single phone company that does this and the ombudsman requires you to report the numbers they call from......for the updated laws to be optimumly effective they need to implement a system whereby people being pestered can report them easily without the need to include numbers used.

I had a call last week originated from Luton listed as international because they used a voip line to generate the call and that's how it was routed......(not a cold caller) but I couldn't of rung them back from my phone without getting billed international call charges .....
stuff like that is getting used more and more to obfuscate cold caller numbers as well ....
Community Veteran

BT and other Telecom providers should have a three digit dial code such as #666 where the subscriber can report the previous call to their phone as an unwanted Spam/Cold Call. There's enough information at the exchange on the incoming call message to allow automatic black listing from Spam sources including international calls or spoof numbers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm

I had a call last week originated from Luton listed as international because they used a voip line to generate the call and that's how it was routed......(not a cold caller) but I couldn't of rung them back from my phone without getting billed international call charges .....

Actually you can call them back without incurring international charges if they are using a UK based (VoIP) number but to which the UK international code has been added due to the way the VoIP call has been routed.  Simply remove the international prefix from the number and replace the first missing zero.  Wink
nanotm
Pro

the call had the prefix +33
I understand that certain voip systems will route the call via the cheapest option to a mobile, and he did mention his calls were costing about half a penny a minute although the line quality wasn't the best ....
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

the call had the prefix +33

So it therefore appears he was using a French number, not a Luton one as I understood from your post, as his outgoing CLI.
Or perhaps your caller hasn't taken the trouble to set his location properly if he is indeed using a UK allocated number.

I understand that certain voip systems will route the call via the cheapest option to a mobile, and he did mention his calls were costing about half a penny a minute although the line quality wasn't the best ....

My VoIP calls to mobiles also cost around half a penny per minute, but as I use a UK number as my outgoing CLI my number is presented as such.  On the occasions where the call appears to be routed internationally, then the leading zero is removed and '0044' is prefixed.
As an aside, if I set my location to other than UK then I need to dial the access code used by the country I have set it to, followed by '44' if dialling the UK, followed by the number (minus the leading zero of the area code).