cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuclear Power (again)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nuclear Power (again)

I Thought the French government were in a fair amount of debt so how is it they can afford to build a nuclear plant in this country whilst we cannot afford it ?
As I understand it the company building it is a public rather than a private company which makes it even more odd and of course dodgy as a future French Government might just pull the plug on the project.
18 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Nuclear Power (again)

nanotm
Pro

unless EDF doesn't follow the same PFI model as in the past, the money will be raised by selling investment bonds earmarked for the project, they will then repay the balance over 30+years (making no repayments for the first 10 years) so whilst the French government could halt the development they would still be liable to pay back all the investors at the agreed points in the future with immediate repayment of capital on the day they cancel it, despite having also contracts to pay all the workers up to that point.......

I can see a reason why France would want to do that but I cant see any feasible way they could afford it, adding 20+ billion to the annual spending budget purely to wield short term political pressure would be economic suicide
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: alanf
30-40% of the funding will be coming from Chinese companies.
http://www.nucnet.org/all-the-news/2013/10/21/china-s-share-of-hinkley-point-c-will-be-up-to-40
True but the bulk of the funding will still come from France, lets hope the French & Chinese don't fall out !! Smiley
Community Veteran

It is a process of importing electrical energy from France/China and the profits go back to them. For their added convenience the nuclear plant is located in the UK and not their own country.  Meanwhile the UK has to generate extra exports to pay for this "imported" energy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Devonian
Grafter

The French and the Chinese being allowed to build a nuclear facility in Britain.  My Grandad must be turning in his grave.
It's not going to end well.
RichAllen
Grafter

Thing is though, the government will be doing cartwheels thinking of all the new "jobs" it will bring in, a whole new generation of Homer Simpsons to work in Nuclear Power Plants.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I worked on Sizewell B and I have worked with the Chinese (and the Koreans for that matter)
Here's hoping Roll eyes Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Devonian
The French and the Chinese being allowed to build a nuclear facility in Britain.
It's not going to end well.

+1
Unfortunately we don't have a glowing record for safety ourselves.
(Come on, it was only a matter of time  Cheesy)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

2 puns for the price of 1...  MATTER and GLOWING.  Grin
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not build the reactor in France?
Our Government could pay for a piece of cross-channel wire plus a fair charge for the cost of the electricity.  Grin

nanotm
Pro

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Why not build the reactor in France?

cos the frog's av more brains than that, EDF did propose building some super massive nuke plant a few years ago (it was only going to cost about 50 billion and produce enough power on tick over to supply 80% of mainland Europe's needs) but the French parliament the EUP and the French referendum all said non
most people were scared about them building something large enough to crater all of Europe and a fair chunk of Russia should it go boom......
instead were letting the clowns build  at least one smaller one here
Devonian
Grafter

20 or 30 years time, America is bankrupt and looking more like Mexico, the EU has crashed in on it's self, and everybody hates everybody again, China, the sleeping giant is flexing it's muscles... and both China, and the old enemy France have a ticking bomb in the shape of a power station in the middle of Britain at their disposal...  interesting times ahead.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

C'mon I've never heard such NIMBY's
If you want an authoritative description of the last nuclear station built look herehttp://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/energy/nuclear-power/about-nuclear-power/nuclear-uk Roll eyes
It also describes the comparison between the dash for gas and nuclear new build  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

it also completely ignores the difference between the detractors from nuclear as well, after all its common knowledge that nuclear waste costs a fortune whereas there is no waste to worry about with gas or coal, there's emissions which can be captured and recycled whereas nuclear there is no recycling just a huge amount of radioactive waste that needs securing and keeping away from everything else
if the government was serious about being environmentally friendly they wouldn't have any nuclear systems, they still haven't figured out what to do with the waste from the current crop of nuclear reactors never mind what to do with the future stuff