cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Npower Fuel Price Increases.

Fixes: 47

Npower Fuel Price Increases.

I've just received an email from Npower advising of price increases.
We are increasing our standard prices by an average of 7.2% for electricity and 15.7% for gas on the 1st October 2011. It’s always a difficult decision to raise prices and we've held off this increase as long as possible.

However
The good news for you is that your tariff is not affected by this price increase so your prices aren't changing and you don't need to contact us.

That gives me cause for thinking have I been paying too much already but I recently changed my tariffs so maybe my new ones were already in line with the proposed increases.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Npower Fuel Price Increases.

[ Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Exactly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

5 of the 6 main suppliers have now increased their rates.
Steve
Pro

I received a letter from Scottish Hydro Electric It reads..
I am sorry to let you know that we will be Increasing electricity prices by an average of 11% and gas prices by an average of 18% on the 14th September 2011.Our electricity prices were last Increased In August 2008 and our last gas price Increase was In December 2010.
We are committing to you that we will not Implement any further price Increases before August 2012 at the earliest.

We would have liked to avoid these Increases;Indeed, we have not Increased electricity prices for three years. Unfortunately, they have become inevitable as a result of rises in the wholesale cost of energy, The cost of using the electricity and gas networks and the cost of the environment and social schemes we are obliged to implement.
I hope that by ensuring there are no more price increases before August 2012 at the earliest, We have shown our commitment to doing what we can to help you.

How nice of them eh!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mine (SSE) also anounced an increase recently so I loooked on a comparison website and checked prices for my last year's useage (best way if you have the figures) and I mnaged to find a deal fixed for the next year for less than I was already paying.  My particular deal seems to have ended (along with my new supplier's announcement on price inceases) but there are a few fixed deals still going.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

@walker23 who did you find was the cheaper supplier?
Community Veteran

There must be a way to get into this market as a small starting company. With the sky high prices most of these companies are charging there is a huge market open to a new company..
Where on earth do you buy gas and electricity at wholesale rates and how do you get your meter readings?
Steve
Pro

@Sprite. From 2008...
What is it?
The market where firms who sell gas to households and businesses - such as British Gas, Scottish Power, and Scottish & Southern Energy - buy their own supplies from North Sea producers.
As North Sea reserves dwindle, supplies will come from further afield - Norway, Algeria and, controversially, Russia.
Does it work?
Not as well as anyone would like. For years the wholesale price moved between 20p and 30p per thermal unit. Last winter it briefly soared to 250p as supplies ran short. Now imports are flowing in and a year's supply can be bought for 32p per therm.
But retailers are not passing on the lower prices fast enough for hard-pressed consumers.
Why not?
The companies say they locked into gas buying contracts at up to 70p that will take months to unwind and claim they did not pass on the full extent of last year's rises. But consumers suspect they are being ripped off
Community Veteran

Thats not really telling me anything useful is it apart from they buy their supplies from the north sea  Roll eyes Doesn't say who those companies are, who their contacts are etc.
Doesn't tell me where you can buy electricity either.
There is a massive opening there for someone to sneak in selling cheap energy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

There are smaller suppliers but we have the same situation as with BB in that only certain suppliers supply to certain areas. I switched to a new fix price tariff BEFORE the new rises so am still paying the previous rates until it runs out in 2 years time I think.
Community Veteran

@walker23 who did you find was the cheaper supplier?

At the time the cheapest for me was EDF Energy: cheapest overall deal as well as cheapest fixed price deal, the fixed price one was more expensive than the discounted but variable one, looks like my decision to go with fixed price was justified in this case.  I looked at separating Gas and Electicity but the discounts for taking both from the same supplier meant it was better to keep them together.
I did get slightly different results between USwitch and Compare The Market but this seemed to be mainly a difference on whether they had allowed for announced but not yet implemented price rises (They also differed significantly in what they though tI was currently paying based on the same usage from the same supplier (they look at end of year discounts differently) so you need to look qiute carefully at some of the figures.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I had a letter from E-on and from 13th September this is what they want to charge:
Electricity - up to 900kWh 20.717p per kWh then 15.015p
Gas - up to 2680kWh 8.015p per kWh then 3.819p
VAT inclusive.
There is also a small refund for each night the temperature drops below 0ºC
What are other companies charging?
Community Veteran

The costs for every company (electricity at least) depend on where you live (or rather who your regional supplier was before you were able to shop around), this always struck me as a very strange kind of 'open market'.
For this reason you can't do a comparison against what someone else is paying unless you live in the same electricity region.  Many suppliers will only divulge their tarrif once you give your postcode (they don't want you to know what people elsewhere pay for the same thing), in some cases, you could be on the border of a supply region and find someone else living within a few miles paying a different price for exactly the same thing from the same supplier on the same terms and conditions - a bit like broadband from market 1 & 3 exchanges but for different reasons.
Call me 'w23'
Fixes: 47

Npower are now charging me:
Gas 3.247p per unit + 41.16 daily standing charge
Electricity 9.28p per unit + 18.9p daily standing charge
This is on their Sign On-Line 22 deal which was the best on a couple of comparison sites when I decided to switch 3 months ago.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation