Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now what we going to eat

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Now what we going to eat

The demise of the Cauliflower  Now what we going to eat?

Talking of extreme heat, even our 5 year tree has died this year. One week, buds etc, next gone.

Do I blame it on Brexit or global warming............

But it has been a bumper year, so far, for gooseberries, pears, apples and even the plum tree has gone bananas!

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
30 REPLIES 30
Community Veteran

Re: Now what we going to eat

We have an Azalea which has been in a large-ish concrete pot since 1987 and has flowered every year with massive orange flowers, until last year. Should have flowered during that long hot spell we had from June to September but everything dropped off, leaves, buds and all. We decided to leave it even though it looked as dead as a proverbial, and lo and behold it decided in April this year that it liked being there after all, and revived itself. Did well this year actually.

Community Veteran

I find the best way to prepare cauliflower is to remove any packaging & place it in the recycling, then swiftly and deftly throw the cauli into the nearest bin, then cook some actual food... :2funny:

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I remember as a youngster my Mother trying to get me to eat her homemade Piccalilli.

"You like cauliflower and you like cheese", she said, "so what don't you like ?"

"Apart from it looking and smelling as if someone's already eaten it and changed their mind ?", I replied.....

Highlighted
TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@nozzer  I have a white azalea in a pot and also thought it had died last year, it did flower last year but then lost all its leaves. Looking very healthy this year!:thumbsup:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

even the plum tree has gone bananas!

So is the fruit a banumb or a planana?

wotsup
Champion

Well in winter of 2010 the cold killed a tree in our garden, also killed some other plants - so not global warming, too early for brexit to get the blame so must be climate change but cooler not hotter....

Cauliflower is a bit like the vegetable equivalent of expanded polystyrene except the plastic has more flavour...

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Dunno, @Jonpe , but I bet it has an identity problem, or a complex.:smiley:

John
TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Certainly dont go to university canteen if you want a beefburger or steak with your cauliflower!:sad:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@TTman  Our three scions of the House of Plusnet-Luzern are in their mid to late 40s.

When they were pre- to early teens, we took them to Stirling Uni for an activity holiday (for them note) and ate in the canteen.

One evening we asked for cauli; it came broken in to tiny pieces.

Even now mention cauliflower, and someone will say, "it's not cauliflower MacRobert, is it"?:rolleyes: That was the canteen name.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

That's a bit like a pub in Oban we ate in many moons ago where we asked what the curry was served with, chips or rice, to which the answer was basmati and rice.

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

I find the best way to prepare cauliflower is to remove any packaging & place it in the recycling, then swiftly and deftly throw the cauli into the nearest bin, then cook some actual food... :2funny:

@twocvbloke 

You mean you have never had a delicious cauliflower cheese???? 

Community Veteran

@nozzer wrote:

You mean you have never had a delicious cauliflower cheese???? 

Such a thing exists? I'm not too sure about that, after all, I tend to avoid eating things that smell worse than what my bottom emits on a regular basis, sulphur dioxide is a very nasty pong y'know... :2funny:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@twocvbloke wrote:

... my bottom emits on a regular basis, sulphur dioxide is a very nasty pong y'know... :2funny:

I can't place that smell ... but I know what Hydrogen Sulphide smells like  :wink:

Community Veteran

Oh, right, yeah, hydrogen sulphide, that's the stinker........... :embarrassed:

Sulphur dioxide is the smell of struck matches, dunno how I forgot which was which... :grin: