cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this will be interesting

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Now this will be interesting

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/14/isp_standardise_traffic_management_clarity/
The UK's biggest ISPs are set to reveal exactly how, when and why they throttle internet connections in order to maintain network performance.
BSkyB, BT, O2, TalkTalk, Three, Virgin Media and Vodafone have all agreed to provide better information on traffic management, which should help customers understand why connection speeds vary.
While such information is already available in many cases, in order for consumers to have a better handle on the data, the indicators must be understandable, accessible, comparable and verifiable. The info will therefore be published in a 'Key Fact Indicator' table that summarises the practices in a standardised format. These will be available on the ISPs' websites by the end of June.
19 REPLIES
geoffp0
Grafter

Re: Now this will be interesting

Like you say it will be interesting, whils on the subject of speeds whilst with BT my worse figures were Download 2438 kbps Upload 376 kbpps and since moving to PlusNet my BEST has been Download 1829 kbps and Upload 320 kbps am wondering if I am being throttled in Cry
Geoff
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

We're already very open about the traffic management and expected speeds on accounts here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
thisoldman
Grafter

yes chris, i agree that Pn have been transparent about their traffic management, but i would like to see a greater debate about the subject on this forum.
To be sure we all agree in our contract to \Pn's terms and conditions and we reluctantly accept that traffic management is essential inorder to provide fair usage access to all, given the limitations of the network capacity at peak times on key areas of usage.
However, despite the above concessions, it still seems to me, that we the consumers are being penalised for the inadequacies of the isp networks. If isps are unable to provide/build capacity to meet their customers fair usage needs then that is not the fault of the customer and as such, the customer should not be penalised by traffic management constraints.
If Toyota offered to sell a car for 2000 provided customers did not exceed 40 mph,did not drive more than 100 miles a week, did not purchase more than 30 galllons of petrol etc etc etc, no one would purchase their car.
I accept that true unlimited access would necessitate a rise in price.That is simple economics, but what i do not accept is the refusal of many isps to build /spend money on increasing the capacity of their networks, so that customers can have a realistic chance of achieving a reasonable d/l speed.
On my current package d/ls after 2 pm are a nightmare;worse,many of the d/l sites have their own d/l speed restrictions, which results in an ever greater surfing disenchantment.
Pn is i think unique in its free usage after midnight(i may be wrong in this) but this policy is going to be challenged soon in the courts as it can be seen to be age and occupational discriminatory.....more of that later......
I simply dont know what the answer to these issues are, but i am of the view that all isps are not giving consumers what they need ie  a fair and reliable internet access during the day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: thisoldman
However, despite the above concessions, it still seems to me, that we the consumers are being penalised for the inadequacies of the isp networks. If isps are unable to provide/build capacity to meet their customers fair usage needs then that is not the fault of the customer and as such, the customer should not be penalised by traffic management constraints.

I'm afraid you are way off the mark here. It's not that the ISPs are unable provide/build capacity (they could place orders with BT and the equipment suppliers today to do so), it is that the resultant hike in prices would cause utter uproar.
The problem is the users who want to significantly increase the amount they want to download but still continue to pay the same prices.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thisoldman
Grafter

tx you for reply jelv. i did in para 5 mention the need for price increase.
perhaps a new model is required eg differential price usage. People who use peer to peer and other type of heavy usage services should be charged more.
A one price fits all as in value or extra is  past its sell by date.
New product pricing based on  usage targeting neeeds to be investigated.
Fixes: 101

...but this policy is going to be challenged soon in the courts as it can be seen to be age and occupational discriminatory.....more of that later......

So i also assume any off peak will be challanged such as train journeys and telephone calls?
You having a laugh?
The reason the usage isn't counted is because it is quiet and there is capacity to spare.
Will Moderate For Thanks
thisoldman
Grafter

no im not having a laugh.
how do nurses/nighshift workers get same treatment as day workers?
thats the key discrim q being asked.
carrot63
Grafter

People who use peer to peer and other type of heavy usage services should be charged more.

Why not just pay-as-you-go pricing for ALL data, irrespective of protocol? Then heavy downloaders will actually pay for what they use without managing them impacting on others. Singling out one protocol over another (e.g. p2p) just wont work as traffic can be disguised as a something else or simply run through an inexpensive personal VPN service.
I'm only just changing my account from PAYG to Pro, simply because the included usage with Pro makes it slightly cheaper than PAYG with 4gb extra. I'd prefer in principle simply to be charged for what I use from month to month.
I suspect the 'Key Fact Indicator' will turn out to be some way short of a 'Useful Facts Indicator' in much the same way as the marketing around variations of unlimited has obscured any deeper truths to the unwary. Transparency, contrary to Ofcom's assertions of it as a cure for all ills, is only of any use if there is a genuine choice, and the publication might actually encourage ISPs to cluster closer together in their offerings and make any choice marginal. It is also a bit meaningless without verifiable per ISP benchmarks demonstrating what the claims translate into in actual use. Much the situation we have now with "up to" claims.
Traffic management is useful and necessary to ensure everyone gets a fair slice of the network pie. But it greatly concerns me that a move towards general acceptance of 'whatever goes' will mark the end of the network neutrality discussion, with ISPs using the confusion to treat some sites, services and protocols as 'premium' under the guise of doing us all a favour. These are the same people, after all, who - not too many years ago - tried to pimp the "walled garden" full of their paid for services on us as a 'safe' alternative to the wild, dangerous internet.
carrot63
Grafter

how do nurses/nighshift workers get same treatment as day workers?

Queue their downloads as many other people do?
Community Veteran

To compare a service with the purchase of goods is, at best , unhelpful.  Now if you'd said, we'll charge £XX road tax, as long as you only drive 100miles per month, don't use the motor ways, and only drive between 10:00am and 4:00pm ...
Sounds good to me, but to carry the pay per use analogy further, if road tax was included in fuel tax, then it would be a much fairer tax - clearly road tax has something to learn from ISPs
John
David_W
Rising Star

@carrot63 - if this did go to court (it won't, but let us imagine it did) and PlusNet was told "end this discriminatory practice now!!!!" <-- with that many !'s too.
Would PlusNet...
a) agree and remove all bandwidth restrictions 24/7
b) agree and remove the off peak period throttling and monitoring traffic 24/7
Answer.... B.  What kind of an idiot would take a company to court to have a free off peak period removed from an ISP on the grounds that everyone should be discriminated against?  Crazy
Steve
Pro

Plusnet needs to get cheaper, Not dearer. 40GB Package for £15.00 would suit me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

60GB for £3 per month on Market 1 with Pro shaping (full speed at all times on all protocols) would suit me!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Come on John be realistic.......you can't really expect more than 45GB for £3 Smiley Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation