Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this will be interesting - ASA on website advertising

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Now this will be interesting - ASA on website advertising

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12435838
People who use the internet are about to get a new opportunity to complain about company websites.
From 1 March, consumers are being invited to make official objections about indecent or misleading information on the internet.
They will be able to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which is taking on new powers to regulate commercial websites.
Up to now the ASA has only been able to monitor traditional advertising.
These were generally on billboards, in newspapers or on television.
New powers
From the start of March, the ASA will be able to police any statement on a company's website which could be interpreted as marketing, even if it is not a paid-for advert.
"The principle that ads have to be legal, decent, honest and truthful is now going to extend to companies' claims on their own websites," said Matt Wilson, of the ASA.
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Now this will be interesting - ASA on website advertising

I hope someone oiled the hinges on those flood gates.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Oh dear!!  i can imagine a few people who will be contacting them Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I wonder how many folks will be from PN?  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The question is will the ASA have legal powers to take action against companies who do not comply or will they just offer advice and recommendations ?
I seem to recall The FSA (Financial services Authority) was one organisation that was next to useless
Community Veteran

At present they have the power to withdraw an advert which they deem to be misleading so I assume they will have this same power with websites.  At present their jurisdiction is over predominately UK based media but what authority will they have over a website that may be based outside the UK?
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12435838
People who use the internet are about to get a new opportunity to complain about company websites.
From 1 March, consumers are being invited to make official objections about indecent or misleading information on the internet.
They will be able to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which is taking on new powers to regulate commercial websites.
Up to now the ASA has only been able to monitor traditional advertising.
These were generally on billboards, in newspapers or on television.
New powers
From the start of March, the ASA will be able to police any statement on a company's website which could be interpreted as marketing, even if it is not a paid-for advert.
"The principle that ads have to be legal, decent, honest and truthful is now going to extend to companies' claims on their own websites," said Matt Wilson, of the ASA.

Politicians and journalists had better watch  it then.