cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this really is different!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Now this really is different!

Jaguar is developing a jet-electric vehicle which uses a micro jet turbine to charge an electric battery, as opposed to drive the car.
The Jaguar C-X75 can sprint from standing to 100km (62 miles) per hour in just 3.5 seconds and achieve a top speed of 330km/h (205mph).
It can run on battery power producing zero emissions for about 110km (68 miles) using four electric 145kW (195 brake horsepower) motors, each one driving each wheel.
Then, the C-X75’s range can extend to 900km (540 miles) on a single 60-litre tank by firing up two super-efficient, micro gas turbines to generate the extra electric power for the batteries - with minimal emissions of 28g/km of carbon dioxide.

Apparently these micro-jets are about the size of a shoe-box and can produce much more power than its size would suggest. Just think what could be achieved by installing them in a small car. 1000mpg anyone?
http://www.bladonjets.com/news/jet-engine-maker-aims-to-power-the-future/
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Now this really is different!

They may be powerful but they'll be incredibly noisy.
Can you imagine being woken up at 5am by your neighbour starting up his tornado jet sounding jaguar? - Sure it would be cool for a few days but after that pretty annoying once the batteries are knackered.
That said, the car industry has been responsible for a lot of technological advancements over the years so maybe they'll find a way to silence turbines that may catch on in the aerospace industry.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there's no news like old news
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/8/newsid_2516000/2516271.stm

and Ford UK did have the Ford Truck over here in the 70's
http://www.turbinecar.com/mags/R-T1972.htm
Community Veteran

It's not a jet-driven vehicle, it's electric, powered by a battery. Nothing like those vehicles. All the jet does is charge the battery. And apparently the noise is no worse than a modern car.
Community Veteran

Yes I got that but that is the point.. what happens if you have a flat battery at 5am.. or 10 years down the line when the batteries are knackered.
Batteries in battery powered cars cost thousands of pounds. At 4-5 years old when they're becoming knackered and the value of the car has depreciated, who is going to honestly invest £4k in new batteries after paying £thousands for it? - It's just not going to happen is it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see batteries take over but the cost of replacement is going to be a very big problem.
How many cars do most people buy knowing that they need to buy a new engine for £3k before they can use it? - Unless you've more money than sense, very few.
Community Veteran

Battery costs are forecast to halve by 2016 and keep on reducing dramatically as development proceeds.
Community Veteran

If true, that would certainly be a mssive benefactor but still a pita for many folks. Still, if they can get this technology right, it would make a huge difference.
Community Veteran

Of course Rover made a gas turbine car. Here's one for gas turbine engined buses too.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.