Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this makes me very happy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Now this makes me very happy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35090087
This has been a long time in coming, and one less way to be fleeced by the big corporations, I just wonder how long it will be before it happens in the UK. Or are we simply more gullible?

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Now this makes me very happy.

I buy Boots own brand 400mg Ibuprofen
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I buy Tesco's but I am more referring to the principle, rather than the product.
I'd never buy a branded product if there was a generic equivalent available.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some people think they are getting a better product if it has the name of some well known company on the box and the more advertising the company does the more it sells of that product.
Due to costs Doctors are encouraged to write prescriptions for generic medicines rather than a trade name medicine which costs many times more.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mook
Or are we simply more gullible?

I think there are more "walls" put in the way of complaints in the UK.
And a lot less people in officialdom willing to knock them down.
Fixes: 47

I don't knowingly take drugs so wouldn't be affected Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
I buy Boots own brand 400mg Ibuprofen

You know Sainsburys is cheaper right? (and its exactly the same  Cheesy )
Personally I could understand the companys arguement about branding for specific pains if they were all the same price but whenever i've looked at them on the shelves they've all been different prices... which are far higher than the generic versions the supermarkets etc offer.
@Strat be grateful mate. I'm on prescription pain releif (gabapentin) at 900mg per day (3x300). I thought that was bad until i heard of an amputee who takes 1200mg 3 times a day (and then saw a program on BBC about people who are dependent on pain killers). Pain can be crippling so if you don't live with it, be grateful!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: 7up
@Strat be grateful mate.

I am.
I do get the odd ache or pain but I don't take anything for it.
Probably because of my wayward past  Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Chew willow bark for pain/fever relief.  It contains a chemical similar to asprin. The taste will take your mind off the aches.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This is not a new story. I recall a few years back reports of  two branded products from the same manufacturer with identical ingredients and one was significantly dearer than the other.
Fixes: 124

I can't understand why some people believe these pain relief tablets actually target a specific area except for the fact it says it on the packaging Roll eyes
Me, I take nothing because...

Nothing acts faster than Anadin Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I've never understood it either... but strangely some medicines actually DO appear to target the cause of something.
When I was in hospital a couple of years ago I was in serious agony before they operated. My tummy was rock solid (full of gas / poison), I could barely breath, unable to even roll over etc. As soon as the general anaesthetic went in, it literally felt like the pain had been turned off - instantly. It didn't fade, it just went from pain to no pain - and then nothingness around half a second after that.
After having had my tummy disected and stitched back up I was then on some really strong antibiotics etc - they'd come round every few hours with the biggest syringe i've ever seen and inject the stuff in through the canular. I could feel it going up the arm but then it felt like it was travelling straight from my shoulder to my tummy - quite literally it felt like a river of fluid going straight to the surgical area and being so much fluid it flaming hurt too  Sad
Now logically I know it can't do that - the stuff has no mind or intelligence but it appears that it has some sort of effect on the nerves and makes you feel like they do.
So yes... the pain killers that claim to target the source of the pain are a con - they can't... but it may feel like they do - which isn't quite what they're advertising but has the same sort of effect  Crazy
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Apart from my 10 a day prescription drugs, I'm taking  the full recommended daily dose of Ibrupofen. I managed crash over in the street last week. My ribs and arm don't half hurt!
Anyways always the supermarkets for OTC drugs!
BTW has anyone taken a pill the French way? To parody Corporal Jones, " those Fenchies do like it up 'em! Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I suffered a slipped disc a few weeks back, Ibuprofen hit the spot, also cleared up my neckache too from having to rest in the NHS-approved awkward positions, NSAIDs only affect where there's inflammation, so if you have localised inflammation causing pain, it will appear to "target" the areas of pain, but they don't cos it's spread throughout the body as it is absorbed into the bloodstream... Grin
And for the best and most rapid effect, buy generic ibuprofen and drink coffee with them, the caffeine helps speed up absorption, hence why expensive fast-acting pills have caffeine in them... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: lucerne
BTW has anyone taken a pill the French way? To parody Corporal Jones, " those Fenchies do like it up 'em! Grin

Suppositories?  Lips are sealed Cry They're really not that bad..it's a mental thing. Once you're over that it's a doddle.
I don't think there is anything left on or in my body that a medical professional somewhere hasn't examined or prescribed treatment for  Roll eyes