Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this is a surprise - Coulson/Brookes Trial verdict

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Now this is a surprise - Coulson/Brookes Trial verdict

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27997688
Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson has been found guilty at the Old Bailey in London of conspiring to hack phones.
Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has been cleared of all charges.
The second bit not the first
Makes you wonder what the CPS and Police were thinking about when they prosecuted her and indeed her husband
37 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Now this is a surprise - Coulson/Brookes Trial verdict

Also makes you wonder what Cameron was doing employing him.....and just how much did he know
WTF
Grafter

Saaaaaay wut  Shocked
That second bit really is a shocker ..
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

how can they find one editor guilty and not the other when the crime(s) were committed during the tenure of both .....
sounds more like they forgot all the evidence against her while enduring having all the evidence against Coulson raised, oh and of course they might of bought her sob story that she couldn't be culpable as she was enduring a diminished mental capacity when the crime(s) were committed by her staff.........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I was surprised at the verdict for Rebecca Brooks but then I didn't hear all the evidence presented in court. We have a jury system in this country and they have decided on all the evidence presented to them.
David Cameron has issued an unreserved apology for employing him.
Cameron 's Apology
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I wasn't interested in the smear/anti smear campaigns over Cameron employing him and then sacking him when it became apparent he was a lying toad,
but I do remember having to endure several hours of her evidence as it was replayed in various news reports, sure I didn't sit in the court room but anyone who's primary defence for there wrong doing is along the lines of "you cant blame me I was depressed because I'm just a young girl in a big bad mans world and I just didn't think about it" (which is what her entire defence was based on) shouldn't be found not guilty, purely on the grounds that she was competent enough to have the job and still hold the office right up until she was arrested .....and she was clear headed enough to order the destruction of evidence of her guilt , conversely I wouldn't of charged her husband with attempting to protect her by doing what she asked of him (spousal privilege) so I agree with his verdict.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I can't help thinking how many times has a prime minister stood up and "generously" said, as the man at the top I take the blame but I didn't know or couldn't be expected to know what all my underlings are up to.
Or something very similar.
Why was Brookes found not guilty? Better lawyer, pretty face, take your pick. It isn't down to justice.
Community Veteran

It was good to see the PM make a full, unreserved apology. He'd got it wrong and he said sorry for doing so. Poor old Millibund is still trying to get some political capital out of it.  Has he forgotten we are still waiting for his apology for the mess the last government left the country in when they were defeated?
Justice has been done in the case of Rebecca Brookes, nothing to do with a better lawyer or a pretty face. She is still young and a good journalist so I wonder what will happen to her now?
myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
Why was Brookes found not guilty? Better lawyer, pretty face, take your pick. It isn't down to justice.

I take it you have legal knowledge, and you sat in the public gallery for the entire trial?
Quote from: artmo
She is still young and a good journalist so I wonder what will happen to her now?

They will turn the trial into a (slow) legal drama, starring Nicole Kidman as Brooks, Rowan Atkinson as Coulson, Robbie Coltrane as Charlie Brooks and Jason Statham as Ross Kemp. The film we be a massive commercial success because the public lap-up such mindless tripe, but the downside will be that people will perpetually confused when they picture Brooks; many will get her confused with Kidman. Kidman will be offered lots of journalism work and Brooks will be largely forgotten. She will probably have a stab at acting, which will be a catalogue of errors because she can only play a single character and Kidman played that part even better.
Brooks may end up presenting her own early morning chatshow, which could be a cross between Judge Judy and Jeremy Kyle.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: myredhotcar

Brooks may end up presenting her own early morning chatshow, which could be a cross between Judge Judy and Jeremy Kyle.  Wink

Or.... she could get a job as a television presenter.... traveling around Britain on National Express coaches, in similar vein to Michael Portillo and his trips on the trains... ( paid for by ..... Ooops ...yes those loverly people who pay the tv licence ! ! )...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Clearly you can money does buy you justice.

Community Veteran

I take it you have legal knowledge

Probably the same amount of knowledge that you have at writing and directing films.
They will turn the trial into a (slow) legal drama, starring Nicole Kidman as Brooks, Rowan Atkinson as Coulson, Robbie Coltrane as Charlie Brooks and Jason Statham as Ross Kemp. The film we be a massive commercial success

I am more than adequately qualified to have an opinion on any subject though.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
It was good to see the PM make a full, unreserved apology. He'd got it wrong and he said sorry for doing so. Poor old Millibund is still trying to get some political capital out of it. 

Oh yeah, of course that’s right isn’t it, being a fair minded person you’d be saying ‘It was good to see Milliband make a full, unreserved apology. He'd got it wrong and he said sorry for doing so. Poor old Cameron is still trying to get some political capital out of it’ if Milliband had been responsible for bringing a devious criminal in to Downing Street rather than Cameron....wouldn’t you artmo?, being the fair minded person that I know you to be
Community Veteran

If the circumstances were the same, Yes.
Community Veteran

The jury has been unable to reach a verdict on counts 2 and 3 against Andy Coulson and Clive Goodman.
The jury has been dismissed and a decision  on if a retrial will take place will be considered by the CPS.