Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Now this is a good green energy scheme - Tidal Turbines

I hope it all works out in the way they intend
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24100811
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Now this is a good green energy scheme - Tidal Turbines

That seems to be good news for the Scots (where did they get that sort of money?). Here in Wales there have been various schemes to put such a system across the Bristol Channel during the last 30 odd years but all seem to fall flat on their faces, often on the effect upon wildlife. The Irish have had a small scheme in Strangford Lough for some time but I am not aware of any more being planned. There is strong opposition locally to wind turbines because of their potential effect on tourism would you believe, no-one can see tidal ones can they?
itsme
Grafter

All renewables have one flaw, they can't produce energy 24/7, so what do you do when they are not producing?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Read up on Compressed Air Energy Storage  in Texas,  then you'll see what can be done.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Mother Nature abhors a vacuum, she is also not too keen on wasting energy.
I wonder what useful tasks the energy we extract from wind and water would have been performing if we hadn't extracted it for our own purposes.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You have a point strat, extracting enery from tidal currents is only going to other knock on effects as that current is slowed down.
Then again I suppose if they're spaced apart well it might not have a huge impact. We did afterall use windmills for years to make bread with no known ill effects. Which reminds me.. no-one minds a windmill but most folk (excluding me) object to wind turbines. Why is that?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@itsme how right you are I'm working in Saudi on a 2800MW power station and it has 600,000 cubic meters of oil storage enough for 45 days operation.  Roll eyes
That's STABILITY. People don't realise that the power they receive is underpinned by traditional power like this. Also as there are no wind mines or wave wells renewables (other than biomass) is not storable  Crazy
Britain has sat on the fence too long, we need to be building some proper new base load stations otherwise how are we going to stabilise the grid with large proportions of wind wave etc.  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I am surprised that some energy company has not worked out a system of using tidal energy on our tidal estuary`s  R.Severn  and the likes, where there is a great tidal drop and the water does actually seem to move at a few knots... both in and out... so dual working on the turbines... there is a huge "tide race" in the solent. especially in the entrance to portsmouth harbour... I am sure some small turbines could be positioned in places like that.... to quote Tesco..... "every little helps"... so why go for the biggies, all the time? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I suspect they will have been looked at
The Severn barrage just isn't cost effective and the greenies got all upset about the effect on wild life
As regards the Solent (ignoring the tide mill which is still there) the problem is that the main channel is too shallow for sticking in the turbines as the tankers etc would hit them and the other channels are far too shallow for a sensible size turbine
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/solent/solent/expanded.asp
Nab Channel
(50°42'N., 0°57'W.), 396m wide, is entered about 1 mile NNE of Nab Tower. It leads 2 miles NNW and NW into The Solent. The channel, which is marked by buoys,is dredged to a depth of 13.3m and can be used by tankers, with drafts up to 14.9m at HW. Nab Channel is intended for use by inbound deep-draft vessels
Community Veteran

I was not thinking of a Barrage... ( as with the Thames )... but more of "free standing"  on the edge of the channel(s)  so "wildlife" and other factors were not affected... e.g. 10 1MW turbines in a long line along each shore would provide 20MW.... rather than building a (dam) barrage to house a huge great 20MW turbine... which would damage the natural flow and the wildlife, and impede shipping all in one go...
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
I hope it all works out in the way they intend
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24100811

Sounds good to me
I like this bit
"Alongside energy saving measures, marine renewables will have a critical role to play in helping Scotland reduce climate emissions as we phase out polluting fossil fuels and nuclear power.

My bold, if Scotland can do it why can't England do it?
Get rid of sellafield, the clean-up could cost £22bn
Community Veteran

UK base load (the power that has to be generated all the time to support basic demand) is around 20,000 megawatts. That gives you an idea of why renewables like this one are just a drop in the ocean.
Community Veteran

Every little helps.... that total amount is not generated using only one generator, is it?  No... many generators are used to provide the necessary capacity ... each one on its own is a "little helper" to the main production...  Roll eyes
kmilburn
Grafter

While every little help, the problem comes from how many little things are required, and where to put them.
As a slightly extreme example.
[quote=http://theenergycollective.com/robertwilson190/247736/can-uk-get-100-its-electricity-wind-farms]Wind farms can provide us with 2.5 watts per square metre, maybe significantly less. Well, 100% wind energy will require something like six Wales’ worth of land to be plastered by wind turbines
itsme
Grafter

No the problem is that renewables are not 24/7 so conventional power stations have to be powered to step in. As power stations take days to bring on line they will running very inefficient when significant power is being generated by solar, wind or tidal.