cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now there's a thought!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Now there's a thought!

When I was on Tiscali LLU, my IP profile was set manually (to 8Mbps). If the line didn't like it, it was a simple matter to have it reset to a lower speed to improve stability. BT's wonderful system goes through a training process initially for ten days, and thereafter it adjusts the profile every 72 hours. If you manage to stay online continuously for 14 days you get a bonus point in that, if the line drops once, you aren't penalised and the profile isn't changed. More than one drop though, and the profile starts to reduce.
With the Tiscali (and other's I understand) system it was permitted to switch off your router at the end of the day without getting penalised speed-wise for doing so. With the BT system, if you do this you never reach the maximum potential of your line, because the system thinks you have line drops and adjusts accordingly.
Why am I telling you this I hear you cry! Well, my router consumes about 10 watts. Let's take this as an average for all routers. Plusnet has around 300,000 customers I believe, so if we are all on the BT backhaul and leaving our routers on all the time, that's three megawatts of energy being consumed continuously. Multiply that by the number of ISPs that rely on the BT backhaul and that figure becomes significant. Who on Earth decided that line speed regulation a-la-BT was a good thing? At least if we could turn off the router when not required and not be penalised it would help.
Just a thought!
4 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Now there's a thought!

It is quite OK to turn off your router when you are not using it, as long as it is not too often. The exchange will only assume there is a connection problem if you switch on and off several times a day. Switching it off overnight will not affect your profile.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Are you sure?
Quote..  BT Wholesale have a 'Blip Logic' function on the system. This means if a stable line, (one that hasn't seen a BRAS speed profile decrease in the last 14 days), experiences a short drop in sync rate and then goes straight back up again, it won't result in a 3 day wait for the BRAS profile to catch up. A second decrease in sync speed would lower the BRAS profile however.
Doesn't that imply that you must re-sync (the next morning for example, after an overnight switch-off, at a speed which is at least as high as the previous sync? otherwise you will be penalised?
James
Grafter

Yes it does.
Denzil was referring to multiple resyncs within a 15 minute period result in a potential hike in noise margin.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
[snip]n a potential hike in *target* noise margin.