cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now it`s time to dump your petrol guzzler , IN FAVOUR OF DIESEL CARS !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Now it`s time to dump your petrol guzzler , IN FAVOUR OF DIESEL CARS !

Typical...  some snotty nosed git, tells the government.. that diesel cars are dirty... and the government starts a campaign to get them banned... either by "bad mouthing" them... or adding extra taxes.. like those demons in the City of Londong, invoking their pet project   " Toxic Tax "..

Petrol cars are producing MORE CO2 than DIESEL cars.. and this is going to mess up the "climate change" stuff that the government have been using to dump diesels...

Well, it seems DIESEL IS BEST   .. so I`m bucking  ( yes that right BUCKING ) the trend, and staying with my DIESEL...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5201541/CO2-emissions-increase-time-14-years.html

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Now it`s time to dump your petrol guzzler , IN FAVOUR OF DIESEL CARS !

The CO2 thing's been around for years, hence why Diesel engines were promoted as the green car back under the Red Tory government, so it's just re-inventing the wheel, again... Grin

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

So what about all the CO2 fire extinguishers Funny

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

I think London's mayor is introducing a new tax, in additional to the Congestion Tax we already have. "T Charge for older polluting vehicles".

Of course it is about reducing pollution - wonder if the new T Tax is sponsored by car manufacturers and showrooms Roll eyes

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

So what about all the CO2 fire extinguishers Funny

Good point, we must get rid of them all now to save our lives!!! Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

And if you take London as an example.

When it comes to nox pollution diesel cars are just an also ran / scape goat.

With heating systems, machinery, and hgv's producing the bulk by far.

So if diesel cars disappeared from London tomorrow how would things be explained, what would suddenly magically appear to top the pollution blame list?

jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

I'm sure I asked this in a thread a long time ago. Who is sponsoring the studies on which these 'conclusions' are being reached? I'm well aware of how statistics can be massaged to give a required result, and I'm sure all sponsrs have an agenda.

John
PowerLee
Rising Star

I've got no interest in a modern diesel powered car.

There added running costs soon outweigh any benefits of better MPG.

Ad blue & special low saps oil required just in normal day to day running.

Then you have the issues of a dual mass flywheel, depollution filter, common rail injection system & turbocharger, all which cost a fortune to put right when they go wrong.

Petrol every time for me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@PowerLee

The introduction of a dual mass flywheel was unnecessary, simply adds hundreds of pounds to what should be a simple clutch disc change as used on petrol cars.

Personally I think Bosch make the most reliable fuel rail systems in diesel cars.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Every car will have expensive costs... IF it goes wrong.... petrol is just as expensive as diesel to put right...

so

Dunno where you get them costs from... I certainly don`t have them.... and I been driving diesels for about 35 to 40 years....

Just put diesel in..... drive it.... refill it... drive it.... refill it  drive it....

Servicing costs ?   About £100 for  10 ,000 mile regular service..  oil , oil filter and airfilter ( if necessary ). Incl labour. Done at home when I want it done..

Brakes, Tyres. bulbs, wipers, etc... well everyone needs to replace them at some time

No plugs to buy.. no points to fix.. no condenser to check.... starts first time EVERY TIME, at the first kick of the flywheel... 

Also get between 60 and 65 MPG...

What`s not to like  ? ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 46

Ad blue & special low saps oil required just in normal day to day running.

Then you have the issues of a dual mass flywheel, depollution filter, common rail injection system & turbocharger, all which cost a fortune to put right when they go wrong.

Modern petrol engines have most of those, with the exception of Ad blue(which not all Euro6 diesels use anyway!), the DMF and a CAT instead of the DPF.

Community Veteran

Diesel rules the world, from little single-cylinder engines on generators & little tractors, to the biggest container ships that chug along the high seas... Smiley

It's just too damned reliable, when the power fails at a hospital, there's a diesel standby generator stepping in, when the electric trains pop a fuse, the diesel locos take over, when the under-development tesla trucks run out of battery power, the diesel HGV will keep on truckin', when the Prius capitulates, the Accord 2.2iDTEC will still be going, Rudolf Diesel invented the best engines in the world, and they will never die off, well, not in my lifetime I'm sure... Smiley

It's all just political scapegoating and typical human behaviour, attack what you don't understand and hope the other sheep follow suit...

jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

@twocvbloke Well said - especially your last comment(s).

John
ffox
Rising Star

My previous car was a diesel (Octavia) and I liked it very much.   But the fuss about particulates, which none of you have mentioned, caused me to change to petrol when I replaced it.

I think this article sums things up fairly:  https://tinyurl.com/yaclo4xx

Community Veteran

I had a look on that link and one of the comments tickled me:

I drive 40 miles a day, and can always tell when I’m behind a diesel due to their smell similar to chlorine gas.

I guess in that case, a diesel smells like nothing, because Chlorine gas is an Odourless gas!!! Funny

The smell that people associate with Chlorine gas is actually Chloramine gas, which is unpleasant for one's respiratory system, so, on that chemistry fact, we need to ban the use of swimming pools as the chlorine used to clean them is poisoning people...Funny