Rising Star

Now it's Npower

Another jumps on bandwagon with biggest rises so far  Cry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24607242
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Now it's Npower

They are like buses/sheep. Once one increases the cost they all follow.
The ONLY way to beat the system is to fix for a few years and go for the cheapest available NOW while doing it. Then you will not be hit by more rises next year.
Community Veteran

I've turned the thermostat down to 18 degrees. They won't be getting any more of my money than they have to Sad
We're already paying 1/3rd the average of equivalent properties in our area and I think I can shave a few more percent off .........
nadger
Rising Star

@HB True they do play " follow the leader"
That's 3 of the big 6 and EDF and E.On can't be far behind.
Signed up to  2 year fixed deal last week in anticipation of E.On putting up prices.
Didn't look to switching companies as £235 in credit when quarter started on 1st October.
At our ages we can't risk getting cold so we don't stint on heating.
CX
Grafter

"We are clear that the market is competitive"
Competition or Collusion?
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Didn't look to switching companies as £235 in credit when quarter started on 1st October.

I would still have looked about, and asked for a REFUND if I was that far in credit.
nadger
Rising Star

As deals go I'm as happy as one can be with any energy company.
I've been in credit at the end of every quarter for at least 7 years and it's nice going into winter well in hand  Smiley
Fixes: 47

As I said in another thread I have recently moved my Npower account to one of their 12 months fixed rate deals.
It came into effect on 26th of September and will save me £137.34 over the year on the December increase prices and incidentally would have saved me  £182.88 over the year on my current prices.
I'm currently £306.22 in credit.

Wouldn't it be nice to receive a letter along the lines of.......
"During the annual review of your account we have determined the best and  cheapest of our tariffs for your particular circumstances and have moved you onto it with immediate effect"
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, Right oh, Strat ! !  Huh
nadger
Rising Star

As I see it the best possible current tariff isn't the best long term tariff.
By taking a 2 year deal I've taken a short term loss for what I hope will be longer term gain.
With regards to being a lot in credit my account runs April to April so pay more than needed in summer months.
As it is our combined gas and electric bill will be less than £1,050 for 3 bed semi.
Community Veteran

Since I pay every month by DD, I go for long term fixed amounts this way I have no crisis’s when large bills arrive. By fixing now I will be paying LESS than if I went on the cheapest tariff at the moment after the next round of increases.
We pay £1100 roughly for a 2 bed end terrace. CW insulation and DG all round, but less than the recommended attic insulation as I have too much stuff up there to move and I floored it 20 years ago, so would mean removing all the flooring to let them fit more (they were offering free insulation).
Gas for heating and cooking, electric for rest. One lt (+2 usb hdd's) on 24/7 several things on standby but heavy standby things are on wireless sockets so I can switch them off. That and the ~10Kw of electric I use when brewing every 3-4 weeks  Grin
But the trouble with comparing costs on here, is the price I pay will be different to the price you pay for the same units.