cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now Jessops goes into administration

Fixes: 122

Now Jessops goes into administration

Jessops camera chain in administration
Troubled High Street camera retailer Jessops has gone into administration, with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) appointed as the administrator.
PwC said that while Jessops was a well-known brand with a strong reputation for service, its core marketplace had seen a significant decline in 2012, which was forecast to continue in 2013.

While I always found their staff to be knowledgeable their prices always seemed to be on the high side.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

60 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Now Jessops goes into administration

The problem there for jessops is the digital camera and photos that no longer need printing on photo paper etc. Photo processing used to be a big market but since the digital camera that can be hooked up to a PC has come around it was only ever going to go one way for companies like Jessops: South.
Personally I could never understand how they could stay in business in prime retail locations with high expenses because it's not like you're going to buy a camera every week with your groceries is it. Sure I know they sell a few other bits like memory cards etc but you can buy those in most supermarkets these days too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Not unexpected particularly in the present economic climate.  I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
Community Veteran

Yes I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner too. Konica and Kodak both ran into trouble ages ago (I think Kodak got thrown a lifeline recently though?).
It is a shame and I feel for those who will loose their jobs but it was only a matter of time unfortunately. Anything that can be done on a computer these days is under threat.
Fixes: 47

I bought my last Canon DSLR from their online store.
Sad but inevitable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Play.com have closed their direct retail business.
Play.com will now become more like a shopping centre, no longer selling directly to customers.
The Jersey-based firm blamed the move on the ending of Low Value Consignment Relief, which allowed items less than £15 to be sold to the UK VAT-free.
A spokesperson confirmed the changes meant they were completely pulling out of Jersey, but about 200 staff would be left in the restructured company, which will be based in Cambridge.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not surprising - they have been uncompetitive for quite a while
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

People still have to buy their digital SLR's from somewhere - just not a mass market item anymore.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Often went into their stores to look at items I was after but then went home and purchased them a lot cheaper on the web.
You can almost guess which stores are in trouble by noting how few people are in them actually buying things, one example is Argos. At one time you could go into their store and have to wait for your items with a number of customers waiting their turn, these days in our local Argos store it's rare for more than 2 customers to be waiting for goods, often it's none.
Community Veteran

That's a very good point.  I do it myself if I want to try something out before buying.
Argos is in a different situation I think.  Last year they acknowledged they needed to shift the emphasis of their business.  They closed a number of stores to concentrate on the online sales.

I used to feel a tiny-weenie bit guilty at viewing the goods and asking in-store questions then buying online from a cheaper source.
Not any more as the savings to be made can be substantial which overrides any guilt Cheesy Cool

Community Veteran

It certainly goes a long way to explaining empty shops in High Streets.
Some companies are really stupid.  I think it is PC World where their online price is cheaper than their in store price.  Once ordered online you can then pick up the goods - in store Undecided
Community Veteran

I personally think that the key issue here isn't the online vs high street issue. It's the cost of the goods in store vs the high st. You can easily go to a store, look at something and then go buy it online but then you have the delay via the postal service.
The high st stores are struggling to survive against this yet they've swallowed up acre after acre of land that could once be used by smaller indenpendant traders and squeezed them out. To be honest, it was only a matter of time before they ran into trouble IMO. They've all concentrated on using the large size high st stores with big rents, bit rates bills etc when in reality they need to start looking at smaller shops with less overheads to pay for so that they can lower the prices of their goods. Even subletting parts of the stores to other traders would offload some of the costs of their overheads.
To put it mildly, in this day and age, the big retailers can't expect us to keep financing their big stores and big expense bills when we can go elsewhere. Instead if they want to survive, they need to start looking at smaller retail outlets and negotiating with shopping centres to split large retail units into smaller ones. It's the only way the high st chains will survive.
No doubt this will cause issues with displaying stock, storing stock etc, they'll just have to get creative somehow.

Quote from: artmo
Some companies are really stupid.  I think it is PC World where their online price is cheaper than their in store price.  Once ordered online you can then pick up the goods - in store Undecided

Some staff even allow you to price-match the online price using their in-store computer especially if you go to walk out without making ap purchase.
This leads me to believe that their in-store price is over-inflated in compensation for their cheaper on-line one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The price is what people will pay. Sometimes this has some relationship to the supply cost.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.