cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now, I've seen it all...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Now, I've seen it all...

Was returning to the depot from my school coach run this morning. Leaving the M25 at J21a. The off-slip always slow going at that time of the morning was more sluggish than usual. As I rounded the bend I could see up on the roundabout a Highways Agency traffic car parked with its lights flashing. Walking towards me on the grass verge were the HA crew looking very tense.
As they came along side me I asked what was up! "loose animal" came the terse reply. What I wondered was it? an escaped big cat, horse a breed of cattle perhaps. Loose dogs can be a nuisance as can yeti's and possums.
At that moment, out of the bushes emerged the object of their search...a chicken, that strutted balefully in complete control of the situation, stopped and began to peck unhurriedly at a morsel a couple of yards from the officers feet. Their quarry now in their sights the HA guy's spread and surrounded the hen. At a nod the crew charged to grab the bird...the bird though was having none of it and outmanoeuvred HA by diving back into the bushes. I quipped, "gonna pluck it and eat it if you catch it"
One of the crew looked darkly at me and said "this is the third day running we've been after this (expletive omitted) feather-brain, we keep on getting 999 calls for it"
With that, the traffic moved on a bit so, I have no idea if they caught it or not. I rather hope the chicken continued to enjoy its freedom for a little longer.
I wonder though, if it was a Road Island Red. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Now, I've seen it all...

Catch hen, hold  facing forward trapped firmly under left arm.  Grasp the hen's head with right hand. Give a sharp tug to the head giving a little twist to the motion.
Re-occurrence of traffic problem solved and evening meal obtained.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Bet the HA crew had egg on their faces Grin
It's no yoke really Grin
Denzil
Grafter

The HA guys were clearly winging it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

But did it actually cross the road?  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Yes and why...
Because it's free range Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The other side (pun intended) to get to (and that one) of this is of course, that the HA crew were making a right cock-up of it!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

eggsactly