Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I know why reported crime has dropped

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Now I know why reported crime has dropped

link to Bournemouth Echo
A ROYAL British Legion club was "besieged" by teenagers, leaving a group of old age pensioners terrified inside.
Police were called to the Wareham club's bingo night after a group of youths started banging on the doors trying to get in.
One man, who asked not to be named, said several girls, aged 14 or 15 and appearing to be drunk, came into the club and tried to use the toilets.
advertisement
The club member said the barmaid and several others ejected them, but they returned with a group of boys of a similar age, who laid siege to the building, thumping on doors of the premises in St John's Hill.
He said: "We were besieged at the Legion; there were about 30 old age pensioners there terrified.
"The youths tried to break the door in, although I don't know what they were going to do when they got in.
<snip> it took police around 20 minutes to arrive and when they did the group had moved away from the Legion building.
A spokesman for Dorset Police said there were around 20 youths involved in the incident, which happened at 9pm on Monday.
He said enquiries were continuing, although there had been no complaints made or offences recorded.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Now I know why reported crime has dropped

They are talking about 3 days response time for none urgent cases now. In a lot of cases they dont even come to things like shed breaking they just give you a crime number.
I dont know if anyone else get this but if we ring our Police they ask you how old you are and the post code for the incident. We have a lot of trouble with a play area near us and how are you supposed to know the postcode if a field has one?
It show how stupid things get we had cars set on fire for weeks and weeks maybe 5 a night. I went out one night and saw 5 lads torch a car I rang the Police and told them and said if they were quick they could catch them as they were standing near bye watching it burn. The Police response
Can you advise the lads to keep away from the fire as its dangerous and may explode
Community Veteran

last night on the News I heard the Home Secretary telling us that crime figures were down.  Of course they would be if we are fed up reporting it and getting no response.  She actually suggested the problem was that the public perception of crime was out of step with reality Grin  Maybe the problem is not with the public but with people like her who seem to constantly wear rose-tinted glasses Wink
Community Veteran

some years ago a friend of mine had her birthday presents stolen from the communal area by someone living in another flat.  we found evidence in the tenant's dustbin and his visitor had been boasting of the theft.
the fuzz weren't interested, describing this as 'not cost-effective to investigate', notwithstanding the availability of evidence, thus confirming my view that they are set dressing only to be used on special occasions for crowd control.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

One of my housemates (female) years ago brought a fella back after we'd all been out clubbin.
20 mins later she wanted him out (he was becoming aggressive) so the household security (ex karate champion) was woken up to deal with him.
The chap was removed peacefully.... only 3 minutes later the little git was trying to kick the door in.
Called the police and they never turned up. Never called back for a description, nothing. They simply didn't want to know. Its shocking how things like that are ignored. They're not all bad, sometimes they'll do everything they can to help but the bill are getting worse.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Here in Essex we have a Police Force that has a good reputation and a Chief Constable who believes in putting more bobbies on the beat.  They still take hours if not days to visit after a call for help.  They do, however, visit everyone who phones them to interview them and fill in a form.  This takes 2 officers and about half an hour of their time.  This time could be better used chasing criminals. 
Community Veteran

Now if one of the pensioner's cars had been stolen by these youths, of course you would have had 4 police cars the helicopter and robocop on the scene in a nanosecond
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Here in Essex we have a Police Force that has a good reputation and a Chief Constable who believes in putting more bobbies on the beat.  They still take hours if not days to visit after a call for help.  They do, however, visit everyone who phones them to interview them and fill in a form.  This takes 2 officers and about half an hour of their time.  This time could be better used chasing criminals. 

Also in Essex a couple of weeks ago, we heard a girl screaming outside.  Went to investigate, and found a few neighbours also checking it out.  The police arrived within 20 minutes, found the girl (she'd run off), and also the two guys who had (allegedly) attacked her (they're remanded in custody, so I can't say more than that).  Full SOCO presence next day, and witness statements taken from all concerned, including full door to door check.  An excellent response (Sorry Santiago - no blue lights, no sirens, no screeching tyres, and no innocent deaths.  Just good sound community policing.)
John
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

This is how you get the police out!
HOW TO CALL THE POLICE WHEN YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T MOVE FAST ANYMORE.
George Phillips of Gold Coast, Australia was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. ( Boy does this sound familiar! )
George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.
He phoned the police, who asked 'Is someone in your house?' and he said 'no'. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available. George said, 'Okay,' hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.
'Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I've just shot them.' Then he hung up.
Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response Unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence and caught the burglars red-handed.
One of the Policemen said to George: 'I thought you said that you'd shot them!'
George said, 'I thought you said there was nobody available!'
(True Story) I LOVE IT - Don't mess with old people!! 
It landed in my inbox today.  I've heard it before but thought it was topical!
Phil
Community Veteran

@Hulls
I did not criticise community policing.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: okrzynska
They're not all bad, sometimes they'll do everything they can to help but the bill are getting worse.

Rubbish the police don't give a dam for the general public, you need to be a millionaire or a MP or the PM or the Queen for the police to care.  Angry
Community Veteran

Based on what evidence?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Try getting the police to come out to a crime, you will be lucky if thay come out.  Sad
Community Veteran

Last reported incident in progress(intruders): 2 regular PCs, 1 PCSO, 1 Dog Handler & 1 dog.
Last reported incident already happened (flytipping): Report logged. Also found an address which the police are to follow up, but no they did not attend. Why? because they would have not gained anything by being present on site. The incident was last Saturday and the second one was yesterday.
It is easy to expect the police to attend every incident. The reality is that without evidence on the ground who is likely to be guilty their is little they can actually do. Unfortunately hunches can not be used as evidence in court. I report ALL crime that I discover and sometimes that can mean 3 or 4 calls in a day! Yes, at times I do get frustrated that the police can't attend some incidents, I would not say that they don't give a damn about the general public or don't care. The officers I have spoken to do care and get as frustrated by the system as much as I do.
Community Veteran

I live in Essex where we get reasonable police response but some of the minor crimes simply result in a report being filled in and filed.  Police are tied down too much by paperwork.  If this was corrected we would see more action.