Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Now EU Says

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Daily Mail"]
Now barmy EU says you CAN'T claim drinking water stops dehydration

• UKIP MEP Paul Nuttall: ‘I had to read this four or five times before I believed it. This makes the bendy banana law look positively sane’

• Ruling, announced after a conference of 21 EU-appointed scientists, given final approval this week by European Commission President Barroso

Drinking water does not ease dehydration, the European Union has ruled – and anyone who disagrees faces two years in prison.
The decision – after three years of discussions – results from an attempt by two German academics to test EU advertising rules which set down when companies can claim their products reduce the risk of disease.
The academics asked for a ruling on a convoluted statement which, in short, claimed that water could reduce dehydration.
Dehydration is defined as a shortage of water in the body – but the European Food Standards Authority decided the statement could not be allowed.
The ruling, announced after a conference of 21 EU-appointed scientists in Parma and which means that bottled water companies cannot claim their product stops people’s bodies drying out, was given final approval this week by European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.
Yesterday, Tory MEP Roger Helmer said: ‘This is stupidity writ large. The euro is burning, the EU is falling apart and yet here they are worrying about the obvious qualities of water. If ever there were an episode which demonstrates the folly of the great European project, then this is it.’
Read More Here
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Now EU Says

Why the hell are we still in the EU? - We're being dragged down by those losers with every day that we're still part of it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

If drinking water is only needed to overcome dehydration why are re-hydration packs available?
I don't completely disagree with the ruling
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Typical Daily Mail
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/nov/18/1?newsfeed=true
Daft hysteria over the EU's ruling on water and dehydration
The EU has not said that water isn't healthy, and it's ruling on the vexatious claim that bottled water can prevent dehydration is perfectly sensible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Good to know that the EU is spending our money wisely.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Good to know that the EU is spending our money wisely.

Well at least we know why the United Krumble is going down the pan..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Seem that a couple of posters here believe that drinking bottled water is good for dehydration so I would say that it has not been a waste of EU money to educate people that dehydration is a more complex matter.
Community Veteran

Would you like to explain why Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran

I believe that to combat the medical condition of dehydration requires a mixture of substances (e.g. salts, sugars and so on) with water, depending on a more precise diagnosis of the cause, not water alone.
It may also need intravenous admission.
Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydration
Dehydration is NOT thirst.  Wink
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Would you like to explain why Undecided Undecided

Read the Guardian article that Oldjim linked to.
Secondly, dehydration doesn't just mean a lack of water, or 'being thirsty'; electrolytes like sodium are important too. If salt levels fall too far, the body struggles to regulate fluid levels in the first place.

Community Veteran

And from HPsauce's link:
Prevention
Dehydration is best avoided by drinking sufficient water. The greater the amount of water lost through perspiration, the more water must be consumed to replace it and avoid dehydration. Since the body cannot tolerate large deficits or excesses in total body water, consumption of water must be roughly concurrent with the loss (in other words, if one is perspiring, one should also be drinking some water frequently).
For routine activities in which a person is not perspiring to any large degree, drinking when one is thirsty is sufficient to maintain hydration. However, during exercise, relying on thirst alone may be insufficient to prevent dehydration from occurring.

I think it really depends on the level of dehydration.  Electrolytes and sodium are possibly required in acute situations but for a everyday condition water appears to be enough.   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's quite an interesting exercise to ask your water company for a printout of exactly what's in your water supply, ie Calcium,Magnesium,Sodium,Potassium,Chloride,Sulphates,Nitrates and a long list of other items, some of which effect the balance of water in your system.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

I think it really depends on the level of dehydration.  Electrolytes and sodium are possibly required in acute situations but for a everyday condition water appears to be enough.   

The EU ruling is not about drinking bottled water to prevent dehydration but the wording on some drinks may lead consumers believing that their product is a cure for dehydration.
Do you know what the most common cause of infant deaths is? It's dehydration cause through diarrhoea and drinking bottled water labelled as hydrating is not going to cure these infants as they require salts and sugars. One reason that when I travel to 3rd world countries I always carry rehydration packs.   
alanb
Grafter

Soooooo ...
if I have understood correctly, McVities also will not be able to claim that biscuits are a cure for dehobnobification.
Cheesy