cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novel scam mail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Novel scam mail

I and a number of other people received a scam (begging letter) today that was rather cleverly done. Our bowls club secretary's email address book was hacked and the scam mail Bcc'd to everybody in his addresses (some 400 in total) but at first glance it seemed genuine as it purported to be addressed from him. On closer inspection it was sent with a Hotmail address, our secretary doesn't have a Hotmail account.
The opening mail was even written in his normal somewhat unique style and font, when replied to the begging letter was sent back us. Several of us were caught out by this, as someone who usually prides himself on being quite scam savvy I was quite annoyed with myself.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Novel scam mail

Would be nice to read the scam.... so we know what we are looking at... unless it is too personal  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I deleted it, together with the Hotmail address that had appeared in my address book.
But, it was a pleading missive for some relative of the sender who was in Rome undergoing horrendously expensive Chemo therapy for which the sender was begging for funds.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

OK... tks... that the gist of it... will be good enough to give it an i.d. if it arrives in my box !
Community Veteran

angela rippon told the story of herself being conned into 'verifying your email' and having her account hacked.  all her contacts got mail telling them she'd been mugged abroad and needed cash for an airline ticket.
Community Veteran

But was it true? ...... or just a way of emphasising how easy it is to be conned,
gerryfrew

I have been with Plusnet for some time now but am always upset by the TV adverts with that guy with the fat face telling how you are able to get Broadband for a very low figure. Seems new customers are better treated than us who have been paying a high price for very poor Broadband in rural areas.
Why can't I get a better deal from Plusnet as it appears I may be long gone before our small 120 user exchange is upgraded.
Stories about fibre optics for rural areas paid for by the government could be the ultimate scam.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
But was it true? ...... or just a way of emphasising how easy it is to be conned,

To get back to the subject -
It's certainly a 'genuine' scam email.  A few years ago I received one from someone (unknown to me) who claimed they had been mugged abroad and needed money to get home.
All I had to do was to send a money transfer - of course I didn't.
I usually keep a copy of scam emails - unfortunately in this case I deleted it.
Community Veteran

I had one apparently from someone who was well known to me, a quick phone call soon revealed all. His address book had been pinched and we all got the scam. He changed his accounts etc., and all has been well since.
Community Veteran

Had an email from the scammed person today (see OP) evidently his ISP BT internet have been working on the problem for 48 hours. No idea what they've been doing but it does seem to be a long time to me..

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if he has an email account from his isp then theres a pretty good chance it was the thing that got hacked (the mail server) and used to post out the scam from a forwarding port on yahoo (because that's who bt use for email servers)
also they *upgraded the account login security* a few months back and that did absolutely nothing to prevent y-mail from getting illegally accessed (i had an account through btinternet on yahoo until recently and it got "hacked" on average once a month over a period of 4 years, the second time it happened i stopped using it but as bt were at the time my isp i couldn't close the account .......
Hotmail otoh hasn't been hijacked or otherwise since the publication of account info that happened in 2010 (so its probably due for another massive hack problem) and prior to that it wasn't hijacked once in 14 years despite being a *free service* that came bundles with some very nice software......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you