Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Nottingham pensioner fined £35 for 'upside down' badge

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="BBC"]
Nottingham pensioner fined £35 for 'upside down' badge
A disabled pensioner has been fined for displaying his blue badge upside down at a Nottinghamshire council car park.
Peter Knott, 76, who suffers from severe arthritis, was upset after he was fined £35 in West Bridgford.
"It is just so petty. You go out to do your shopping and park in a disabled space where you think you are fairly safe and you're not," Mr Knott said.
Rushcliffe Borough Council said the warden was correct to issue the ticket under the regulations.
"The rules are very clear, well publicised and prominent in the car park - blue badges must be displayed correctly," the council statement said.
Mr Knott said the blue badge was facing up with its details on display.
Read More Here

That is nuts.
This news article is available on my forum plus a number of other articles Here
53 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Nottingham pensioner fined £35 for 'upside down' badge

As a holder of a Blue Badge on behalf of my mother the above is ridiculous. There is nothing in the rules about displaying the badge the right way up. I think the council are misinterpreting the words 'The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol'. This eludes to the fact that the wheelchair symbol should be shown and not the holder's photograph.
Blue Badge Scheme:
As long as the time and the symbol are clearly shown then that's all that needs to be done.
If that was me I'd refuse to pay the fine and let them take me to court.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I have to agree with you Mav.  Bureaucracy gone mad Roll eyes Roll eyes

Have a new word for it:
Bureaucrazy  Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I like it Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would be better if those officials focussed on those social parasites who use a Blue Badge when they are not entitled to do so, but all to often Council parking fees are all about raising revenue as the first objective.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry I also have a blue badge and it clearly has on the date side display this side up

This side not this way up.
As I said, it's to ensure the photo side is not displayed. If it is displayed upside down it can still be read - quite easily, actually.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think you should read the rules that you posted

Is this the part you're talking about?
When using the parking concessions you must display the badge on the dashboard or facia panel, where it can be clearly read through the front windscreen. If there is no dashboard or facia panel in your vehicle, you must still display the badge in a place where it can be clearly read from outside the vehicle. The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol.
The side showing the photograph should not be visible through the windscreen.

It's down to interpretation....
I see the statement The front of the badge should face upwards as meaning the photo part must be facing down i.e. not seen rather than the orientation of the badge.
Either way, I think the parking attendant has been over zealous.

Community Veteran

The attendant is being a total idiot.
The badges (I know them well) have a front and a back.
The front has the wheelchair symbol on, the back has the photo.
The front must be visible and legible, which it seems it was.
Slapped wrists ("retraining") to the attendant and a grovelling apology to the badgeholder would be the minimum response.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

their argument is that they must be able to easily read the details, it is not easy to read when rotated 180 degrees.  And I cant see that the pensioner would have had any difficulty in putting it on the dash correctly
Community Veteran

They're totally missing the point.
The idea of blue badges is to HELP people who have difficulties.
The attendant/council are not helping at all, they're just being jobsworths, penalising someone who already has more than enough problems for what is at best a minor lack of attention with no real effect on anyone. After all the "rules" shown earlier only say that a fine "could" result. Presumably that's really aimed at abusers of the system.
I'll bet the attendant has a digital camera and can easily photograph the badge the turn the camera upside down to read it.
I repeat: "total idiot".
Not to mention that if you stand beside the car alongside the windscreen, facing forwards, then look down you would easily read it.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Well summed up, HP.
The rules quite clearly refer to the necessity for the correct side of the badge to be displayed - NOT the orientation. The attendant was stupid, but I find it incredible that the council is backing him - he should be disciplined! 
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Yep the rules are clear, but no one seems to mention the position on the dashboard. From my own experience it is possible for something to be place on the dash that looks clearly visible from the inside, but from the outside is distorted, hidden or hard to read.