cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing....winds me up quicker

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Nothing....winds me up quicker

I purchased from my local Tesco's yesterday a car charger for my iPhone. Got it home and found it didn't work, returned today for a replacement.
So far so good at the till point, until..."postcode please sir" long pause..."why? I asked, bright as a button came the reply "its company policy"...longer pause while my blood pressure returned to a lower level....I responded "so you can send me piles of junk mail" quick as a flash "Oh no we wouldn't do anything like that" came the salesman's reply..."then why do you want my life history, as I guess it will go further than just my post code?"....his turn to pause, "well yes, your address date of birth and your email address"
The red mist was coming down on this normally placid well mannered polite person. I cannot abide this common practice or shops needing your details in anything other than a till point sale.
I flatly refused to give him the details pointing out I purchased a product that has proved to be faulty, all its needs is a refund or replacement, my life history does not need to accompany it. He relented and stalked carefully to the display for another charger, completing the paperwork full of blanks, I didn't do myself any favours by saying "see you can do it" I left saying "I'm going straight out to my car to try this out, if it doesn't work I'll be back in 5 minutes"
The replacement charger didn't work...I returned to the desk to find the young man who had tried my patience had been replaced by someone much sterner. This time I required a refund.
In the course of time a manager was called to deal with a recalcitrant customer. A little later on I got my refund, and didn't give any of my personal details. Trouble is I probably can't go back into that Tesco's again.
Of course the last laugh is probably on me, as the refund was to the same card it was purchased with, so they already probably have all details I was refusing to give them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Nothing....winds me up quicker

Along with self service tills that I refuse to use, give my details like you say is a big no from me to.
If Tesco wont welcome you back, I'm sure the High Street will.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've had numerous spats with Tesco over the years. The last one was last year over a printer that went wrong. I took print reports, screen shots and tons of other proof that the bloody thing was faulty and all they gave me was "We can only exchange it". Utter gibberish. Half an hour later of trading insults and winding each other up and I suddenly realised I'd not seen one even available in store. Went back in all guns blazing and they had to admit that they couldn't actually replace it and were thus forced to refund it instead  Wink
I dislike tesco a lot when it comes to refunds, replacements and the like. I took a PCMCIA wifi card back there moons ago that was defective made by some cheap company that was under the belkin brand but not sold as belkin. Bought it at a discount, went abroad, couldn't use it came home, grumbled at them they said no goodwill gesture, i grumbled more and they said refund only. Ok agreed to refund and their HQ phone number.. bloke goes to do a refund and it came up at full price! He cancelled, tried again, same thing, cancelled, tried again and by this point I was virtually ready to pounce over the counter and thump someone and it must have shown in my face lol. Anyway he gave up and gave me what the till insisted was my refund and I made around £6.50 out of it - Result!
Then there was the time one of them deliberately damaged our car... nasty little moo.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Community Veteran

I find Tesco pretty good at refunding or replacing faulty merchandise. On one occasion I had problems an email to their CEO Phillip Clarke got me a result Smiley
gswindale
Grafter

Had no issues with a refund several years ago when I purchased a DELL PC via Tesco.
The particular model had an intermittent booting problem which Dell themselves were unable to resolve even after they had taken it away and looked at it for free.
I took the h/d out and went back to Tesco with it.  Stated that it refused to boot up and had the refund no questions asked.
Personally I quite like the self service check-outs - only problem is that I always have to turn the sound OFF before I start as otherwise I get really annoyed with the "Please insert your clubcard", "Please enter  your PIN", "Please remember to take your shopping" announcements.  Using those check-outs means I get out of there much quicker than if I have to wait for somebody else to scan my purchases.
Community Veteran

I agree with you about the self-serve tills. I like them and think they are a good idea. It speeds up my shopping trip.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seem to be a number of keys that wind people up.
TORPC
Grafter

have we all go holes  our back(s) for the key(s) to go Cheesy Roll eyes