cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes on windscreens

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Notes on windscreens

In my reply to Infinity's Ford Kuga thread, I mentioned that my neighbour had his car damaged in a car park. So as not to go off-topic in that thread, I'll start this one.

It reminded me that quite a few years ago my car at the time was damaged in a supermarket car park, but unlike my neighbour wasn't in it at the time. I had a note attached to the windscreen:

Its a long time ago, but this is the essence of the note..

"I'm sorry I damaged your car, but if you think I'm going to be stupid enough to leave my details, think on. Fortunately my car is not damaged my bull-bars saved that Cheers!!"

My car suffered a smashed front indicator, headlight assembly, and the wing had to be replaced. So it was probably hit with some force. There were of course no witnesses around, and was before the days of CCTV everywhere.

Anyone else suffered similar, or been lucky enough to have a note giving genuine details? 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Notes on windscreens

My mums car got hit by a removal van, whilst she was parked on street, quite a number of years ago.  A neighbour witnessed it (through a window) and got the details of the van.  The driver stopped, had a look at it and then left.  Much later on that day we took the details given by the neighbour to the Police Station a couple of hundred yards from where it happened.  They phoned the removal company who said the driver had just returned that moment and they were just about to phone the police to report it!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Unusual that someone left a note ?

I guess a number of people after doing that would either leave a genuine note or quickly look around and if no one about drive away, to stay and write a note like that only adds to the risk of getting caught..

Perhaps there is a element of drink or drugs involved......or a learner driver getting some practice on a supermarket car park.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

It might actually decrease the risk of getting caught.  If there were witnesses and they saw them writing the note then they might think they were "doing the right thing" and leave it at that.  If they saw them just drive off (particularly after having a look), then the witness(es) might take down the vehicle details and leave them themselves!

Fixes: 387

I returned to my car some years ago and saw a note that said "Parking Fine".

I thought 'what a lovely compliment'. It made my day.

/I'll get my coat

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

geehawk
Rising Star

A few years ago my wife reversed into a car whilst parallel parking.

She was going really slowly, and only just touched it. No visible damage to our Focus, no visible damage to the Audi.

Even so she still left a note with details.

Never thought any more about it until her insurance came up for renewal nearly a year later when we discovered that the other party had made a claim against my wife's policy, and it was all paid out without any insurance people ever getting in contact with my Wife.

We swapped insurance companies at that point, luckily her NCB was protected.

Conversely we have come back to our car and found various dents in doors, scrapes etc.. with never a note left.