cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note to Mods/Developers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Note to Mods/Developers

Can we please have an ignore button on this forum. It might solve a few problems!  Crazy
26 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Note to Mods/Developers

I suggested this a year ago - Lots of support but not going to happen until the forum is updated.  This is scheduled to be after inttroducing the new billing system, getting the provisioning system working properly, waiting for a blue moon and getting permission from porcine aviation control... Wink
PitchBlack
Grafter

What we need is a vote / kick system, so we can kick individuals out of threads instead of the mods locking them, that way the topic can still go on. I was just about to get the Sunday trading thread back on topic when it was locked. It seems to be the same people having a go at each other time after time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

all the mods need to do is actually MODERATE!
that thread could have been nipped in the bud if it wasn't for 1 particular poster repeatedly accusing another poster of having a mental illness.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To be fair, I think the mods do a good job. They allow us to speak freely (perhaps a bit too much) and make our point. If it starts getting heated then they step in and lock things.
Must admit though that an ignore feature would be handy for some members but then that would also ruin the continuity of many threads and things wouldn't make sense - EG you'd reply to the 2nd or 3rd poster but there might be a reply hidden below them that you've ignored but they might think you're replying to them instead and then it would become a bit odd.
A kick function.. yeah i'll admit that does sound useful but lets face it, this forum is so old and outdated that it's just not going to happen unless plusnet spare a php programmer to implement it - not an easy task on a large forum.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: chenks76
all the mods need to do is actually MODERATE!
that thread could have been nipped in the bud if it wasn't for 1 particular poster repeatedly accusing another poster of having a mental illness.
I don't see any problem in my thread about Brian May if that is what you are referring too? I'm sure if the moderators thought so it would of been locked already. Its a discussion about something people VALUE wildlife and we are all civilized adults on this forum if you don't like it don't read it. I bowed out that thread because it sat on top of chit chat most of Sunday for a couple days and hoped it would of died off. But it hasn't so obviously its a good ' hot ' topic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you want features adding to the SMF software, erm, talk to the guys who actually created it... Roll eyes
http://www.simplemachines.org/
Community Veteran

Moderators are volunteers and it's not a task I would want to undertake.
I have always found them to be fair when locking posts that have got personal or out of hand.
Moderators are no doubt in touch with each other and the way forward might be to caution users which could be followed by a ban on posting for a week or so.
If someone did get a couple of bans then hopefully they would have the intellegence to modify any future posts or realise this forum was not for them.
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
I don't see any problem in my thread about Brian May if that is what you are referring too?

It's the thread about sunday trading where it was brought up that chenks was suffering from paranoia.
It's just that people on this forum are too politically correct to mention names and threads and thus it leads to confusion where innocent parties like yourself then think it's a topic they started.
Admittedly I did jokingly (and perhaps wrongly) backed up the suggestion pointing out that chenks was reading tones of voice in peoples replies etc. Sorry if anyone thought that was a bit much or was offended by that.
I didn't touch on it as much as another couple of members though. I merely made one comment on it and left it at that.
FYI I have no real problem with chenks but his statement about hating everybody was rather uncalled for and quite offensive.
On a side note I think we all need to accept responsibility for the way this forum has gone lately. There are certain members who actively enjoy creating controversy (while then never answering points they don't like) and others who just enjoy flame wars.. others who get dragged into things and can't drop the bone... We've all done it and look whats happened - we've lost a moderator for it (OldJim) who got fed up of it all. We're now down to two moderators and if we loose another one I can see plusnet closing this forum down completely.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Think it must be the changeable weather - I've been on this forum for only a relatively short time, but also noticed an increasing amount of 'fighting'.
I don't understand it - some of those involved have been on here a long time have been here a while and seemed to get along just fine until recently. Must admit it  has stopped me reading a lot of non-technical threads, and I quite understand Jims' departure, if I were him, I would probably have done the same.
I'd hate to see the forum go - it would be a great shame, and as I found out when TT killed the old Tiscali forum and replaced it with the TalkTalk one - you loose a lot of the helpful people.
Can we have the old attitudes back please. Smiley
As to the forum itself - please don't 'update' it too much - Virgin & TalkTalk have - two I used to frequent for various reasons - and I don't go there any more, they are close to unreadable to me.
John
Roberto0151
Grafter

@jab1. I used to be very keen on the breadth of subjects that were available on the Tiscali forums.  The forums were the only thing I really missed when I switched away from Tiscali soon after the TT takeover having seen how we Tiscali folk were being treated.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
To be fair, I think the mods do a good job. They allow us to speak freely (perhaps a bit too much) and make our point. If it starts getting heated then they step in and lock things.

Agreed 7up - it's a shame to see Chit Chat seems to be going down the same road as it was a year ago.
If I were a mod I wouldn't even stand for some of the posts I've read today, and I would have locked a lot more threads.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Roberto0151
@jab1. I used to be very keen on the breadth of subjects that were available on the Tiscali forums.  The forums were the only thing I really missed when I switched away from Tiscali soon after the TT takeover having seen how we Tiscali folk were being treated.

I switched from Tiscali before they became TalkTalk, but because I had many friends on there - some real, many online-only - I continued visiting until they  replaced a vibrant and active community with a load of popcorn. Almost all of those I knew there no longer use the forum, although a number of them are still TT subscribers.  I am still in touch with quite a few, but it is now by phone/email and the occaisional  real-life meeting.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nozzer
Can we please have an ignore button on this forum. It might solve a few problems!  Crazy

Presumably, clicking on the "ignore" button would bring up a pre-determined post in place of a "reply" which said...

I am ignoring the previous post, on the grounds that I may incriminate myself

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

On several forums i frequent there is a Report button which highlights it to the Mods  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .