Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not something you see very often

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not something you see very often

Not something you see very often on facebook's marketplace.

Made from reclaimed timber we have a local guy selling home made coffins.

Yours for only £250, so grab a bargain and go.

96754181_1590548074432278_2557547918328332288_o.jpg

I wonder if he does made to measure?

PS. Not for or by me I hasten to add. 😐

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
20 REPLIES 20
Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Not something you see very often

Great idea, I'd be very happy to log out in one of those. However my undertaker friend once told me that regulations for cremation coffins specify that they must not contain metal fittings so the neat row of nails/screws is probably unacceptable. Easy enough to use decent glues I would think. Funeral directors charge around £400 for a basic chipboard coffin and a cardboard coffin costs around £200. 

We're pleased to see many more people choosing 'direct funerals' as some spend thousands of pounds they don't have to give the deceased a good sendoff, having had a great life ourselves we much prefer to leave it to the living. Especially the youngsters who will spend their lives paying for present profligacy.

Given PN's billing system I wonder how long it will take my executor to sort out my final account before I come back to haunt them? 👻

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Longliner 

It did go through my mind that they might not be enviromentally friendly especially if you use something like second hand pallets. Good point about those nails and screws - perhaps the chap that makes them uses dowels as well as glue.

Not for me though, the Mrs has said she is going to knit me a shroud.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Canvas bag and a few pounds of dredge..... I`m going to be buried at sea....

( mother in law said she wanted to dance on my grave.....  ! ) Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not far for you to go then @shutter as one the five places that have been approved for burial at sea in the UK is the Needles, Isle of Wight. 

All looks rather expensive though. 

https://beyond.life/help-centre/arranging-a-funeral/everything-you-need-to-know-about-burial-at-sea/

shutter
Community Veteran

won`t be my problem ! ! ! 

£175 is not expensive......   extras such as the coffin and a boat & skipper might be though ! .

. according to this link      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38210497

Anyone can be buried at sea....

Although many people who are buried at sea are former sailors or navy personnel, there is no need to have a connection with maritime life.

Anyone can be buried at sea, so long as the person arranging it has a licence - available for £175 from the MMO - and complies with some environmental rules.

So... if you have a small boat, or can hire one with a "skipper"  it will cost you a lot less than you think.....

However..... being Ex- Royal Navy......

#The navy conducts its own burials at sea, for those veterans who wish it. For more detailed information you should contact the chaplain at the base from which the dead person served.

The coffin must be made according to guidelines....

The MMO specifies the coffin must be made from solid softwood and must not contain any plastic, lead, copper or zinc. This is to make sure it biodegrades and to protect the area from contamination.

To make sure the coffin sinks quickly to the seabed and does not float around, two-inch (50mm) holes must be drilled throughout, and about 200kg (440lb) should be clamped to the base.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Fair point, but for m'self I'd hate to think the cost of my funeral was going to be a problem for somebody else.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Guess you could reduce the cost by leaving your body to science......

Like some of you have already said the money is needed for the living not the dead.

Interesting when you look at some of the cemeteries abroad and how well they are kept along with some decent headstones but in this country or at least in the area I live the cemeteries are a discrace.

Perhaps more people in this country are going for alternative options rather than the local cemetery hence the decline in cemetery maintenance.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@gleneagles wrote:

Perhaps more people in this country are going for alternative options rather than the local cemetery hence the decline in cemetery maintenance.

Or maybe the Cemeteries are full, or almost full, with any vacancies reserved for the more prominent members of society.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

They are certainly getting full here in my part of the world and funny you should mention about leaving your body to medical science, as friends on mine mentioned that only yesterday. A married couple, they are both going to do that as did the father of one of them many years ago and I recall her telling me she got his bits back in a box about ten years later.

Like that coffin, not for me added to which the Mrs tells me they have more than enough offers without wanting my worn out parts. Mind you, it would save on the cost of any funeral I suppose. 

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

With full cemeteries, polluting crematoria and food supply problems maybe it's Soylent_Green's time .

OR if time does not permit take a nuclear way out. Though with someone, i can't possibly say who, may do it  even sooner than could be thought.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

There is also the final frontier........

Loads of space in the universe and with rocket travel becoming cheaper who knows....no need for the cost of a return ticket and a slight chance you come to rest on a small asteroid where some advanced civilisation can resurrect you....

Can’t happen.......

Thought it happened to Spock ?

😁😁

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Strat
Fixes: 514

My plot is reserved for another 16 years so I can't hang around as I'll incur renewal charges.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0 (64-bit)

shutter
Community Veteran

ah,... but.... @Strat  if you leave early, will there be an "early leaving charge"......Shocked

Hmmm.... don`t expect you would be too worried about that, though......  Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Resurrection?

Just follow a religion, job done. 😉