Not something you see every day...

A Tornado in Carmarthen this morning. Thumbs_Up

WP_20190714_11_37_22_Pro.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Not something you see every day...

There is something about those old trains and steam engines in general, perhaps it's a reminder of bygone days, never into train spotting myself but a few of my school mates had books full of steam train numbers.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could have had yourself come click bait there @Minivanman, with a train name like that.

"Tornado travels through Carmarthen"

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Me neither, but myself and the Mrs were in town this morning and decided to take a look as I had read an article about it on the BBC Wales news. An amazing sight, and the first full sized steam train I've seen since I don't know when - probably East Croydon station back in the late fifties I should imagine.

A guy we knew from years back who was a real railway buff and somebody we'd not seen for well over twenty years, suddenly stuck his head out of one the carriages and waved at us - so double amazing.

PS. Took several photographs with my half posh canon SLR, but this one was taken by the Mrs on her 'old' mobile - and turned out to be the best of the bunch.

Typical. Smiley

PS. And no, I'm not the one in the anorak carrying a shopping bag!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Ha, I was just going to say is that you in the white hat but you beat me to it.

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman Maybe Im one of the anoraks! The plan to build the tornado was hatched 25years ago in a pub, so sponsers were found and it was built in Darlington. I travelled on the Tornados first commercial trip from York to Newcastle and help fund it with a monthly donation, so I think I own a revit! The A! company are at the moment building  another engine a P2 called the Prince of Wales at Darlington which should be running in a couple of years time.SmileyThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

A wonderful piece of machinery! Like many I find a ride in a steam train is something to cherish. I feel that's nostalgia, but were we to be compelled, as folk were in my boyhood, our take would be much different. Through the 40s, war time and beyond, the stock was dirty and metaphorically maintained with string and drawing pins. We could hear across the fields clapped out engines climbing the long bank between Harold Wood and Brentwood stations. It took an hour to travel 20 miles from London to Shenfield, and often in pitch black inside and out for my elder sisters. Throughout until 1948 we could see the the unwired masts for postponed electrification. In 1948 all changed and electric units were faster, more frequent, and cleaner.

In all I love the nostalgia, but no thanks to the reality.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

No offence intended, and hopfully none taken. Smiley

Looks to be expensive though as one chap we were talking while waiting for it to come in told us that a three course meal on a similar train cost him £125 and not sure if that was just for him, but crikey. 

Quite and experience I should imagine but you'd have to be rather keen to pay those prices plus the cost of a ticket. Did you get a discount as a supporter?

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

I did a bit of train spotting as a youngster. Kept me off the streets.

I once cabbed Mallard when it unexpectedly pulled a train into Sheffield Midland Station.

*Cabbed Mallard* for the uninitiated means I was allowed up onto the footplate with the driver and fireman for a few moments.

It was a special moment for a young lad.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Tried train spotting once, and I mean once with another kid from our street - the sort of thing all boys had to have a go at I suppose but blimey was I bored. Mind you it was the early to mid sixties and the only trains we saw on the Victoria to Brighton runs were big thumping diesels so no character just numbers, which to me was just pointless (see what I did there) but hey, had it been ten years earlier and I might have been hooked for life. 

Oh yes, tried taking car registration numbers - so no keeping off the streets there @Strat but it was great fun trying to see who could recognise the make of car first. Ah those were the days. Now of course they all seem to look the same.  

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman No offence at all takenThumbs_Up I have done quite a few trips behind tornado but they are few and far between.I have done a couple where their has been a five course meal and yes they are expensive but are viewed as a treat. One this year Leeds to Edinborough. Tornado cost £3m to build without the tender so not cheap. The Prince of Wales is costing £5m to build £3m of which has been raised already in about 3years.Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Can't remember when but I seem to remember someone posting a youtube video of a drone taking a video of a steam train crossing the Ribble viaduct........impressive.

Also impressive are those photos or paintings you see of steam trains at dusk with smoke and flames  coming out.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

We got one of those 5 course meals on the train as a anniversary present, must admit I was impressed, only a short train journey but it made me think of how the rich must have lived years ago.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Can't beat a bit of huff and puff by steam locomotives for a day out. £120 for a meal sounds about right.

Although have to agree with @Luzern . Dirty things when they are really working. But all good fun.

As for Mallard @Strat  P1030398.JPG Bring back some memories!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman  Cabbed it.    about 5 years ago ! ! .. was working as a volunteer on the Watercress line, and Tornado was running for the weekend...

Also cabbed the Mallard, and Royal Scot, and the Union of South Africa  ( not all on the same day though ! ! ) .