cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not so fast

Fixes: 125

Not so fast

A team of Scottish scientists has made light travel slower than the speed of light.
They sent photons - individual particles of light - through a special mask. It changed the photons' shape - and slowed them to less than light speed.
The photons remained travelling at the lower speed even when they returned to free space.
The experiment is likely to alter how science looks at light.

I wonder how that affects Einstein's equation Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Not so fast

Not so long ago claims were made that neutrinos had been found to travel faster than light. That turned out not to be the case.
I wonder if this latest finding has been peer reviewed or there has been a rush to the popular press before the findings have been scrutinised.
If the findings do stand up then it will be a very interesting time in physics.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I seem to recall an experiment years ago where a beam of light was slowed by sending through a super chilled  cloud of sodium, so its not a new idea.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So long as they continue to work on warp drive, that's all I'm interested in (that's being worked on over in Texas, so if there's a big Matter/Antimatter explosion there, you'll know why!!)... Grin
Fixes: 125

But you 'cannay change the laws of physics'

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

We already have changed the laws o' physics Jim, they were written in an era before things like particle accelerators and high speed computing... Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Note the nationalist angle from the BBC Scotland report. "A team of Scottish scientists has made light travel slower than the speed of light."
The University Of Glasgow states "researchers from the University of Glasgow and Heriot-Watt University" making no claims as to the nationality of the team members.
http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_388852_en.html
Some names mentioned and some details I found about them. At least one is not Scottish.
Daniel Giovannini -  Education The University of Glasgow, Università degli Studi di Roma 'La Sapienza', Università degli Studi di Roma 'La Sapienza'
Daniele Faccio - "was born in London, 1973. He obtained a Degree in Physics from the University of Milano, Italy in 1998,..."
Professor Miles Padgett - Padgett was educated at the University of Manchester, the University of York, the University of St Andrews and the Trinity College, Cambridge
Jacquiline Romero - ?
Scientific research is international. Working in Scotland does not make one Scottish.