cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving email

deljak

Not receiving email

Not  received any emails since 17/11/17. I can log into my account but there are no emails.

I am receiving emails on my phone but that's all.

Any help would be appreciated

6 REPLIES
Champnet
Rising Star

Re: Not receiving email

Are emails set to delete on mail server when deleted on phone ?

Attila_The_Pun
Grafter

You probably won't get any useful advice till you give details of the type of email account(s) and means of access you are using.  Client (e.g. Outlook) or webmail?  POP3? IMAP?  etc.  For both your PC and your phone.

deljak

I use outlook on the PC, and a built in email receiver on the phone. I don't know the email app name.

My email is a pop3 account.

deljak

I don't think so.

deljak

Today I received 8 emails on my phone, but only 3 on my Plusnet site on my PC. 

I just checked 3 minutes ago and those 3 emails have disappeared.

On refresh I get "No messages found in this inbox"

Attila_The_Pun
Grafter

I think your best clue is in Champnet's message (msg 2).

How have you set up your phone's email app?  When you defined the POP3 email account to your phone, there is a setting dictating what you want it to do with emails after reading them.  If you have set it to delete them rather than leaving them on the email server, then your PC email application (Outlook) won't see those you have already opened on the phone unless Outlook has already downloaded them from the server before you got to them on the phone.

Likewise, if you have set up Outlook such that it deletes messages from the server immediately upon downloading to the PC (the default), then your phone won't subsequently be able to pick up those messages that have already come down to the PC.

I have a similar set-up to you for my POP3 accounts.  I use Outlook 2016 and have the accounts set up to leave all my emails on the server for 4 days after downloading, thus giving me a window of 4 days to read them on the phone once they have been picked up by Outlook.  On my Android email app on the phone, I have it set NEVER to delete emails from the server.

The above worked very happily on Outlook 2003 and Windows 7, but since my so-called upgrade to Outlook 2006 (Office 365) and Windows 10, I have had a lot of problems with it, specifically that Outlook is not actually deleting the emails from the server after the said 4 days expire, and also from time to time Outlook downloads ALL the emails from the server (including ones previously downloaded) so that many duplicates get created, and I then have to use the 'Clean up folder' facility on Outlook to delete the duplicates from the PC, and webmail facilities on each of the email accounts to remove the old emails that are building up on the servers.  Along with three other faults in Outlook 2016 that I have been unable to resolve, this is a total pain.  However, I live with it because I need this method of access.

You might be better served by IMAP instead of POP3 (it doesn't suit my purposes), but you must then be careful, because if you delete emails from your phone, those deletions will sync to Outlook too.  If you are a person who keeps emails going back ages, then you will need to be archiving regularly and only deleting from your phone when you are happy for the emails to disappear completely (i.e. after you have archived or otherwise saved ones on your PC those you want to preserve). The other downside of IMAP is that all your emails remain on the server (as that is the mirror from which the other devices are synchronised, and your email provider (usually your ISP) will have a size limit, much lower than that on your PC.  It is a more disciplined way to work, though.  Or just give up and use a web-based email service like Google or Yahoo, if you're happy to have all your emails out there where they can be hacked...