Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not in my day

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not in my day

Not in my day did the kids keep coming home with begging letters from school, and no wonder this dad is fed up with his coming home from school with requests for yet more 'donations'.

Have things really got this bad?

Funny thing is it was only last week one of my daughters was talking to me about this after both of her boys came home from school with a 'pin on poppy' and small wrist bands and which they now had to pay for. 

Nobody asked, they just assumed and it was pretty much a fait accompli as they could hardly take them back.

As she said it's all in a good cause but it can all be a bit much month after month.  

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Not in my day

I bet the schools don't even supply inkwells with ink in them anymore.😀

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman Many years ago I worked for a company called E J Arnolds who sold school supplies and are best sales month was always our best month because the schools would spend all the money they had left over in their budget before the next years budget  as they would lose the budget and could not increase the next years budget because they were deemed to not need an increased budget for the next year. I wonder if it still works that way?? BTW they would spend it on anything even if not needed. Maybe they wouldnt need so much now if they didnt pay the heads so much and employ so many teaching assistants !! In may day one teacher could control easily a class of 30+.🤔

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@TTman

But there is a slight difference between the class of 30 in your day and a class of 30 these days.

In the past a teacher could control a class but these days if the same method was used the teacher would soon be in court for assault and barred from teaching again.

Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

That sounds familiar, as back when another daughter first started teaching all the staff were given new Apple laptops for "home and school use" as a way she told me of using up excess funds otherwise they would be reduced the following year. I know she was really angry about it - and this was at a time when not that many people had or could even afford one besides which, they already had a computer at home.

Have things changed? Well apparently not as the same system is still in place, and there are still end of year purchases for items over and above need. 

I just don't get it. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The NHS used to (and probably still does) redecorate wards in order to use up any surplus funds for the same reasons as given above.

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman In my day it was things like footballs and maypoles!🤣

Highlighted
Pro

Spending other people's money (and then complaining that you haven't got enough)

Those two great pillars of government, and government run services!

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles wrote:

In the past a teacher could control a class but these days if the same method was used the teacher would soon be in court for assault and barred from teaching again.

Weapon of choice back in the day was the blackboard duster. Many teachers could land it with pinpoint accuracy on the head of any troublemaker, even at the back of the class.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Never knew that about a duster being chucked - an urban myth?

Mind you ours were pretty good at throwing chalk with one in particular who relished using the cane to the point of perversion in retrospect.

Respect for teachers (or anything else) has declined so much that nothing short of drilling a hole in their heads would restore it - not that I'm suggesting it for one moment. 😛

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recall many moons ago we were in math class and some of the pupils were being really annoying (i.e. themselves). But the teacher had had enough, in fact he was seething, and threw a bit of chalk from the back of the room so hard it went through the class door. OK it was only thin ply with an 'egg box' centre but all the same we were so impressed we were speechless. Job done I guess.