cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Really Buried

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not Really Buried

So a "big" story on BBC news is about a buried Daimler found in Guernsey.

BBC news

Not exactly what I would call buried. More like someone covered it in a pile of rubble and called it a rockery.

Now my cousin digging in his flat garden hoping to plant potatoes stuck his fork in what he thought was a flat sheet of metal. After a lot of digging it turned out to be an old black Ford Popular. They always say potatoes need double digging. His went a bit deeper in the end.

11 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Re: Not Really Buried

That made me smile, as just before we moved house my old Dad buried a metal bed frame in the back garden under about five inches of dirt!

Never heard anything about it afterwards as I remember. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, with all that rust, it's definitely british... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Nothing wrong with a bit of good old British rust Wink

198kHz
All Star
Fixes: 10

@Minivanman wrote:

...buried a metal bed frame in the back garden under about five inches of dirt!

A flower bed?  Cheesy

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Nothing wrong with a bit of good old British rust Wink

Until the MOT tester puts his hand through it... Funny

Community Veteran

Of course back in the day a lot of heavy non combustible rubbish was hidden in the garden somehow.

Baths, sinks, engines, and paving slabs, usually ended up in "rockeries".

As for all the smaller broken hard core stuff that was where your lawn went.

Community Veteran

I had to fill in a "pond" (more like stagnant swamp oozing noxious gases) in the garden a few years back, it had ben lined with carpet and with all the dirt that soaked into it, I couldn't lift it out, so, er, I just folded it into the hole and buried it... Cool smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I could never understand how folks could (and still do) just dump rubbish in their own back gardens or wherever. On more than a couple of houses bought I've finished up clearing up all sorts of........ stuff. 

Worst one belonged to an electrician and one who also used to collect old bottles so there was this horrible pile of broken glass, pottery, conduit and old switch gear/fuse boxes.

Talk about doing it on your own doorstep! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

When laying a new concrete drive it was not uncommon for some folk to put old iron bedsteads or long peices of scrap iron down first, the theory being this would strengthen the drive.

I know metal rods are used in concrete buildings but not sure if the same theory applies to a concrete drive, no doubt someone on the forum with a background in building may know the answer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

I could never understand how folks could (and still do) just dump rubbish in their own back gardens or wherever.

Answer : Because they are lazy (censored)

How hard is it to phone the council if for some reason you cannot take it to the local tip.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

One house I renovated I had quite a bit of scrap iron lengths taken from a steel framed patio I needed to take down and would you believe it, an old steel mesh bed frame. It was a dirt floor to start with and along with a load of rubble and some reinforcing mesh I put down those down. Concrete in and over the top followed by screed and voilà, one new floor. 

Now of course (but those days have gone) I'd use something like reinforcing fibres - just sprinkle into the mix and it works just as well apparently. My son used it on a place he renovated in France and swears by it.

Capture.PNG