cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Once But Twice....

Community Veteran

Not Once But Twice....

Nik Wallenda tight-roped between 2 buildings in Chicago and one of his walks was blindfolded Smiley  He got into the Guinness Book of Records twice for his efforts.
Tightrope
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Not Once But Twice....

While i certainly agree that he's very skilled and it's very impressive what he has done, I can't help but think he's another Steve Irwin. Eventually he's going to think he's invincible and it's going to come round and bite him on the butt - costing him his life in the process.
I said Steve Irwin was living on borrowed time when everyone else was saying how clever he was and i got poo hoo'd for it (not here on the forum, at work) and then just months later he was dead.
Unfortunately you can't live a long healthy life performing dangerous acts all the time. Eventually something is going to go wrong - thats why we have the word accident.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Also the words reckless and stupid.
Community Veteran

He's an entertainer and taking risks is an occupational hazard for him. That's why he earns a fortune.  Cool Cool
Community Veteran

The guy has 3 children ... I stand by my post!
Reckless and stupid.
Community Veteran

I'm with you doris.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: artmo
He's an entertainer and taking risks is an occupational hazard for him. That's why he earns a fortune.  Cool Cool

taking risks has nothing to do with entertainment, in the big top there will be safety nets (because an accident will scar hundreds of kids) so its relatively risk free, walking sans safety kit high enough to make a crater in the pavement isn't brave or great its downright stupid, just imagine what happens when eventually this guy falls off his rope, who will compensate the people below for seeing the effect of plummeting free-fall at terminal velocity,  certainly his family wont be doing it, but they should since they allow and aid him in his avirice
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

I think Philippe Petit  crossing between the twin towers was more impressive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Petit
Fixes: 47

There will always be adrenalin junkies and many of them will have wives and children.
I'm thinking, for example of people like urban free-climbers who seem to be taking a bigger risk than this guy with his long pole.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@strat,
Very true but I guess that's what makes us all different.
Is it better to live a long and uneventful life or live an exciting life with the risk you might die young ?
Community Veteran

I guess we know Wallenda's answer to that question Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
Quote from: artmo

in the big top there will be safety nets

Well from the news reports i saw there were no safety aids at all so bang goes your theory again..
Community Veteran

Not a safety harness in sight Wink
here are some more pics of his walk:
Nick Wallenda
Community Veteran

There needs to be more balance in the discussion on this topic
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 121

I don't see the point point of these 'daredevil' feats but whatever floats their boats.
I assume the families are well aware of the consequences but I expect insurance premiums are high if they can be got at all.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still