Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nostalgia

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Nostalgia

God this brings back some memories. It's about the only computer I remember having the opportunity to interact with throughout my schooling career! Shocked

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

35 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Nostalgia

still got some pretty old ones myself,  A Sinclair 100, has a two line display, works on Basic, still works and the battery lasts for weeks not hours
A UK 101, was a build it yourself - machine code used a Tele
Trying hard to think what the other one is, I think acorn or something like that - its hidden up in my loft
Still have the manuals for all
Community Veteran

I recently bought a Casio PB-100. Great little machine that looks brand new.
I doubt that the original designers would have believed that it would ever be used the predict the range of wireless networks.
Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My first computer was an Acorn Electron, with the interface that plugged into the back, and with that you could put in cartridges for the software programs  like Mini Office, and also games, like shoot em up martians ! !... It came with an ordinary cassette recorder, and you could buy software on ordinary cassettes to load and use, and then save the results..... I bought mine for £40 brand new in box at a car boot sale.... At the time, I think IBM were on their second generation "home computers".... But the Electron was still selling in the shops for around £200 for the spec I had!  Needless to say I reckon I got a bargain.... I subscribed to a magazine called EUG  (Electron User Group) that was a paper version of this forum really, came out monthly....  Somewhere along the way, I remember someone mentioning that an old Acorn Electron was still running a small brewery concern, and hadn`t been disconnected or switched off even after 9 years running continuously. ! ! !
jmd
Grafter

Before I got a "real" computer I had a Amstrad PCW.  I thought it was great as I could do letters and stuff  but then I realised its limitations.  I sold it to someone at Church so they could do minutes of meetings................. not sure if it is still going.  They even had their own magazine and I bought that regularly.
Community Veteran

The first computer I owned was the ZX81. The first computer I dismantled and rebuilt was a Dragon 32 which my physics teacher was not too impressed about when he walked into the room and found it in bits  Wink.
Community Veteran

[blatent plug]
Well... I might as well get my plug in early and say we have many BBC Micro's, Electrons etc etc at The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley park. In fact, we supplied all the BBC kit to the science museum for the reunion on Thursday which you see on the video. I am part of the volunteer team setting up the museum and we have an unofficial opening Tomorrow (Sat).
So if you are interested in seeing the BBCs and many other systems from that era actually working, as well as systems right back to the early fifties, its well worth a visit. I will be there Tomorrow and probably Monday so if you happen to visit just ask one of the museum volunteers to find me.
We are also after donations both of money and old systems!!!
[/blatent plug]

Anyway... I also started out with the BBC Micro then moving on to the Archimedes and that is where I first got involved with Unix and programming which set me up for my current career.
Note: The museum has examples of all the systems mentioned so far.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Watt about Commodore Business Machines PET Computer.  I worked at Commodore Business Machines in Eaglescliffe back in 1976.  The tape deck on the CBM PET was my idea.
brad
Grafter

I feel quite lucky then in that respect as my first ever computer was an Atari ST 520. Legendary computer that was. Cost £366 as well. Bargain  Grin
Fixes: 47

I have 2 or 3 BBC Model 'B's lying around in the loft along with a ZX81.
Don't know what else is up there as I haven't been up for a while.
Bit of a museum up there actually.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Strat, Are you waiting for them to go up in value, and be featured on "flog it" or antiques road show?

The kids got quite a good price for me on a recent Antiques Roadshow in Sheffield....perhaps you saw it Grin
Described as an early 20th century piece in surprisingly good condition.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight
Watt about Commodore Business Machines PET Computer.  I worked at Commodore Business Machines in Eaglescliffe back in 1976.  The tape deck on the CBM PET was my idea.

Yep, several examples of the original PET 2001 (with integral cassette) and the later 8032 model.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Peter
We are also after donations both of money and old systems!!!

Do you have a Sun Ultra5 in the collection?

Old Machines including the aforementioned Ultra5.