Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normality.... aka .... Freedom day

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Normality.... aka .... Freedom day

OK... so.. we are going to be given our freedom to spread diseases as we used to do ! ! ! ..

But.. it`s about 2 years now, since I went into a shop....  or a cafe, ... so I expect that the "normal" shopping protocols, of shoving each other about, "politely of course" in a queue or a group around the freezer cabinet, bread section, or wherever, are no longer.... what about in the "local corner shop"..bakery, Post Offices, etc.. . where I have seen queues outside, with a gap between each customer... will they all now crowd inside, or will they still only allow a couple of people in the shop at a time,or will that become "the norm" ... and customers WILL wait outside  ( in all weathers  ? ? ? ? ) to get their lottery ticket, packet of fags, paper or whatever...

According to the polls, about 2/3rds of those surveyed, say they will continue to wear a mask, when in company of others they do not know, e.g. public transport, bus queues, surgery, shops, etc. I certainly will continue to do that, WHEN i decide it is ok for me to put myself at risk... and even more so, about contracting the virus infection, and then bringing it home to the missus.

It`s a really scary time, that is coming to pass on Monday...

51 REPLIES 51
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Normality.... aka .... Freedom day

@shutter 

Very well said! Those are my sentiments as well.

I think that rather than Monday being Freedom Day perhaps it should be the start of Brown Trouser Month!

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

As they say @shutter , "Keep calm and carry on", which no doubt is what you'll be doing, even if you continue as you are now by not going into shops etc.  Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

Alternatively keep calm and be sensible, but then most people are not so it will be up to the individual to take some measure of self responsibility. 

Keep wearing that mask and if you can get a better or more effective one rather than those thin blue surgical types, avoid crowded shops (not always easy I know) and take the best care that you can of others such as the Mrs @shutter by sanitizing your hands after you have been out and about.

It will get better and infections will drop, but not for a few months yet is my guess. 

Steady as she goes. 🙂

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Rather than freedom day maybe it should be called take person responsibility day.

It seems to me that the best way forward is to avoid shops etc. that don’t do their best to keep customers safe.

I guess that many want the government to tell them what they should or should not do so that they can rebel against being dictated to. It’s a funny old world!

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

This is the Government handing responsibility of the people back to the people - that's a big ask....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Champnet 

It certainly is a big ask but it could be worse, at least we are not heading to Mars where it will be 'hands, face, and outer space' in order to avoid infecting other worlds.

Just about impossible though despite the exacting sterility standards of organizations like NASA. Dangly earrings are out for starters!

But there you go, one man's freedom and all that.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

We will continue to wear masks and avoid crowds along with indoor events or shops where a lot of people are present.

If you get up fairly early in the day some supermarkets are almost empty so best time to shop…anything later than 8am forget it as I suspect a number go shopping after dropping the children off at school.

Despite taking precautions there are always idiots about who insist in standing close to you and chatting about some (censored)

The way thing are going you will be very lucky not to get exposed to Corvid, Flu, or some other bug before the year is out.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

@gleneagles  - and others: whenever you go out of your (presumably) totally sterilised home, you will encounter bugs/virus/insects - what do you suggest we do? Apart from Whuhan flu, these things have been around for as long as I can remember - and much, much, longer - and no-one has raised a whisper of concern.

I went all the way to Carlisle on Thursday, stopping off at a couple of places on the way, and apart from the mandatory face covering on public transport &c, people seemed to be getting on with life as normal.

I know I certainly am - had more than enough of restrictions, some, IMHO, totally illogical.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@gleneagles wrote: The way thing are going you will be very lucky not to get exposed to Covid, Flu, or some other bug before the year is out.

Precisely. Apart from the time I was furloughed off at work (wonderful 3 months off I might add 🙂 ), I've been going in shops, travelling here and there and I'm still here. Yes, I wear my mask in shops and at work (will continue to) but I do think its a case of being realistic.

No home, shop, goods, etc is ever going to be 100% bug free, no matter how much sanitizer you throw at it. Yes, you can stay indoors but seriously, at my age (pass retirement age), life is passing me by. Being shut up isn't what I want when the clock is ticking. And what will you be doing if Covid is still around in 5yrs or even longer? Still stuck indoors? I won't be. Currently its not living, its an existence.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Couldn't agree more, @idonno , which is why I intend to revert to pre-CV19 life as soon as possible - and merely observe common courtesy as I have always done in the past anyway. At 66, I think I can think for myself.

John
Champnet
Seasoned Champion

Spot on @idonno . Caution & common sense seem to be the keywords.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

I agree with the general comments, so far.... and, personally, I would follow the trend, to go out and enjoy the world for what it is... cafe`s, bars, shops, etc... Unfortunately, my missus is seriously scared of it.... and no amount of cajoling, or trying to "gloss it over", has changed her mind....She has a minor heart problem... plus other medical problems, including mental health... so she really does not want to put herself in any places where she is likely to contract an infection....

As you all say,.. there are bugs everywhere, including Flu... which we get jabbed for every year... I`m hoping that as time progresses, she will start to realise that the risk of infection is not so great as she thinks, and will start to get back to a normal way of life.... Can`t see it before Xmas... and,... of course... it depends on what the news broadcasts tell us about how the infection rate is rising or falling, as the case may be.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Understand Mrs. shutters' position - my other half has to avoid even getting a cold if at all possible as the drugs she is on for her other problems means she can't even take an aspirin, but she still goes out for a meal - when legally possible, and doesn't bother about masks or whatever unless they are legally required. I shall be visiting her, for the first time since last October, in just over a week, and neither of us will be doing anything different than what we usually do.

John
Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@shutter With your Wife you'll have to do it carefully and in stages. Lookin after a person who's been diagnosed with severe psychosis I know reason and logic just isn't going to work. If she'll go out in the garden try and coax her to the end of the road and back. As you probably know you'll have to watch every move and second guess what's going through her mind. Follow up with a trip around in the car. Then try a walk round the local supermarket. Trip to town on the bus etc, etc. You need to get her to want to go out and feel safe about it. Good luck......