cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nook going, DRM strikes again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nook going, DRM strikes again

In one of the most amazing statements this author has read, the company says it's trying to set up a deal with Sainsbury's Entertainment on Demand "to ensure that you have continued access to the vast majority of your purchased NOOK Books at no new cost to you" (emphasis added).
If we read that correctly, in getting out of the UK, Nook can't even guarantee that all the books customers have already bought temporarily licensed will remain accessible to them.

Full details here
Now I have 2 Nooks (along with a Kindle), but I use Calibre to manage them and don't use DRMed ebooks.
What this looks like is you have "bought" loads of books from them, but they can't/won't guarantee that you can actually still READ them after they quit.
If you know where to look then getting your books off your Nook and onto your PC (and into Calibre) means you can keep ALL your books and not loose any. I ain't going to mention where to look.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Nook going, DRM strikes again

I would imagine that all around the country people are being told that's what happens when you abide by the rules.

Community Veteran

Whose rules? When I buy a book (real paper) then it is mine to do with as I wish. I can re-sell it, give it away etc.
When I buy (lease !) an ebook then all I get is a virtual book, with a "licence" to read it ON THAT device (or one the same if transferred via their program). They can pull it from my library at any point and I have NO comeback. How is this legal? You even have to pay VAT on ebooks!
I along with many many others treat them as real books as to the point of where/on what we can read them, but we still can't re-sell them. (i.e. I can read my Kindle books on my Nook and vice-versa)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Most publishers of printed  books include a statement to the effect that the books must not be resold. While this is largely ignored it does nor mean you are allowed to resell a printed book.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And to rub salt into the wound there will be some people who have obtained a lot of books illegally for nothing so will not be affected by these rules.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Books are knowledge, knowledge is power, power is money, money is greed...
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Most publishers of printed  books include a statement to the effect that the books must not be resold.

I have never seen such a condition. I do know of a condition that paperbacks may not be resold in different covers.
e.g. my copy of Bad Science
"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent IN ANY FORM OF BINDING OR COVER OTHER THAN THAT IN WHICH IT IS PUBLISHED..." (my emphasis).
CX
Grafter

The thing with DRM is that the luddites in these old companies (movie studios, publishers, 80s/90s gaming companies) are too stupid to realise that DRM doesn't do any good. Show me any supposedly "protected" digital product which has not been pirated. Even things like Cubase, which required a physical dongle that plugged into the parallel port, was pirated.
I have a ton of games on Steam, mostly bought during Summer and Christmas sales, but it's still a lot of money invested in something that could be taken away. To make matters worse, companies like EA and Ubisoft then bundle their own DRM on top of that used by Steam. People like to be pacified by believing that there's some magical DRM remover that will be released if Valve/Microsoft/whoever goes bust, but that will never happen. Not only would they never be able to legally release such a tool, but what do they care? They're bankrupt.
Then on the other hand you have GOG.com, who offer games without any DRM whatsoever. The biggest music services are now DRM free. All of these have remained in business without restrictive DRM. Movie studios are so backward I don't think they'll ever change - you only have to read the leaked emails from Sony to realise how genuinely stupid these people are.
How long before Sainsburys shut down their service? Or sell it on to somebody else, stealthily removing things during the change of ownership due to "licencing hurdles". Nobody except Amazon, Apple or Google seem to have a particularly good track record of keeping such services running long-term.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Most publishers of printed  books include a statement to the effect that the books must not be resold.

I have never seen such a condition. I do know of a condition that paperbacks may not be resold in different covers.
e.g. my copy of Bad Science
"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent IN ANY FORM OF BINDING OR COVER OTHER THAN THAT IN WHICH IT IS PUBLISHED..." (my emphasis).

Or .... in other words..... you can sell this book on,  so long as you don`t put it in another cover ....
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
And to rub salt into the wound there will be some people who have obtained a lot of books illegally for nothing so will not be affected by these rules.

Well I have over a 1000 books in my Amazon Kindle library, and I think I have paid a total of <£5 for all of them. Most of them got when Amazon were offering them for FREE.
Community Veteran

Years ago I recall one well known auction site selling DVD's containing thousands of e books for £5 or less
As for DRM can it not be removed or bypassed in some way ? If not then why do you get all these dire warnings on every DVD you watch stating the penalties for ripping, copying, and all the other stuff they warn you not to do ?
CX
Grafter

I'll tell you how to remove DRM from DVDs later; busy stealing a car at the moment.
CX
Grafter

But seriously, copy protection on DVDs was cracked years ago. The "unbreakable" AACS on HD-DVD and Blu-ray was cracked within years. So now, the likes of Sony Pictures intentionally cripple the product with rubbish like "Cinavia". Again, a waste of time because the majority of PC software ignores Cinavia, as do cheap unbranded players from the far East. Oh, and that has been defeated as well by re-encoding the segments of mangled audio to remove the Cinavia.
They would love for you to not be able to resell what you've paid for. Microsoft tried this with the Xbox One, but backed down when they saw the backlash.
Again, they're too stupid to see anything beyond the ability of a young child, in that if Person A sells their used product on eBay (that they originally paid full price for), even though Person B doesn't pay full price for it used, Person A now has funds to buy more new stuff at full price. And for me, if there is something that I really like, I will happily pay full price for a new copy. For example, I bought Ghostbusters as a brand-new sealed copy whereas when Ghostbusters 3 comes out on DVD or Blu-ray around Christmas, I will buy a used copy on eBay.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Books are knowledge, knowledge is power, power is money, money is greed...
True enough, there are many examples of certain books being banned or destroyed by various countries in the past when those in power felt they would corrupt or offer alternatives to the way they thought.
Quite likely it still goes on in some countries.
Community Veteran

Quote from: CX
I'll tell you how to remove DRM from DVDs later; busy stealing a car at the moment.
I suspect stealing the car might be the harder task depending on the make and model.
Cheesy