cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Alcoholic drinks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Non Alcoholic drinks

Last night, Had the chance to go out (  well someone said I should "get out more")..... Cheesy
Went to a pub that had a disco and a buffet for the New Years celebrations. Cheesy
As a driver, who values my licence greatly, I do not drink alcohol when I am likely to drive the car afterwards.
I don`t drink alcohol much at all really, as one can of Bitter will give me a headache, so I have been told, I am sensitive to alcohol in the bloodstream.
So for a "social drink",  I had to go for the "alcohol free" version of Becks German Lager beer.....
It tastes awful. but I persevered, and consumed three bottles during the evening.
On waking up this morning, I had that "awful taste" in my mouth, of last nights brew. Tongue
The question is.... apart from fruit juices, and "fizzy" stuff (coke, lemonade etc) what else is there to consume on social occasions
22 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Non Alcoholic drinks

Seems that bottled water is the 'in' drink at the mo - all the health gurus seem to be extolling us to drink I don't know how many litres per day. Personally, I drink when I am thirsty and that's about it.
Anyway, back to the problem - you definitely need bottled water, preferably sucked from the bottle via the hole/apperture at the top, giving every appearance of a baby sucking it's bottle of milk. You will then be  Cool  and also doing your health a lot of good, flushing the toxins out and so forth.
Community Veteran

HMmmmmmmmm. ! bottled water..... what a rip off.... I drink the stuff from the tap....  and having run a couple of off licences, and seen the mess that certain hard shelled creepy crawleys (and mice) leave on and around the crates of bottles in the store, I would never drink straight from the bottle.... or cans.... the thought of putting my mouth somewhere a beetle has ...... ..... or ........ is enough to make me feel sick.  All those  Cool dudes in the bars, pubs, and clubs, probably don`t even give it a thought !. so I don`t give much credence to the "healthy living" bit, if that is how to drink water !.
Any other suggestions?
Community Veteran

nice cuppa tea. Grin
Community Veteran

Yes!  My favourite....  but not usually "socially acceptable" when out at a pub !.... (Unless of course, the group is tea total !!!)  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

don't see why not.  you can often get coffee in pubs and i've been able to get tea when i wanted it, usually in those pubs that serve food.
Simon_M
Grafter

Pint glass
Several ice cubes
Bottle of the best ginger beer you can get (most are artificially sweet)
A generous dash of Angostura bitters (less if the ginger beer is a good one)
Top up with lemonade.
The best bitter drinker's non-alcoholic substitute I have found. Most non-alcoholic beers are made from the sort of beer I wouldn't touch even when it had the alcohol in it.
Sometimes (wrongly) referred to as a Rock Shandy, more correctly called a Malawi Shandy, but very few people have heard of it under that name in this country.
Made with good ginger beer & good lemonade, this is a nice drink in it's own right. Made with the sort of ingredients available in the average pub, it's still an acceptable substitute. Any pub that stocks Angostura bitters is also quite likely to have decent varieties of the other two.
Community Veteran

@ Simon..... Now that sounds more like it!..... sounds as though the recipe came from the "colonial" days..... I quite like ginger beer too!..
Thanks
Any more?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A friend of mine, when he was skint and didn't want to buy alcohol used to buy a shot of blackcurrant cordial topped up by tap water, in a pint glass
Bargain Grin
johpal
Grafter

One of my favourites, when I lived in the Middle East, was "Saudi Champagne". Apple juice and Perrier water,over ice and a sprig of bruised, fresh mint (if available). Happy New Year!  Wink
Community Veteran

@ Alex & johpal...... both excellent suggestions.... I think I`ll start a small "recipe book" to take with me next time I have to go out    Cool Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Alex
A friend of mine, when he was skint and didn't want to buy alcohol used to buy a shot of blackcurrant cordial topped up by tap water, in a pint glass
Bargain Grin
That must have been a long time ago - now they would charge £2:50 for it  Crazy
Community Veteran

I keep thinking...... vampire  Tongue .... Fresh blood might be what is required and it would be a talking point too.
Fixes: 47

I have a vision of Shutter elbowing his way to a heaving bar on New Years Eve and shouting out "one cup of Earl Grey please....two lumps" Grin Grin
The looks and comments he would get would be priceless.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Remember the old tv advert
Sh you know who