cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wonder aircraft tyres burst!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

No wonder aircraft tyres burst!

What I can't understand is that the landing gear wheel hubs look hot even before they hit the runway. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikbrSRTAzgA

13 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero

Re: No wonder aircraft tyres burst!

Just a thought, are they spinning before the hit the ground - only that would warm them up a bit. It does look as if the hub is hot rather than the tyre itself. 

A stationary wheel hitting the deck is going to get more wear than one that is already turning so maybe there is some sort drive mechanism? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

As far as I know it used to be standard practice to spin the wheels before landing, but I thought that had been abandoned quite a long time ago. Maybe it's been resurrected again.

Minivanman
Hero

Sounds like a good idea. Don't know how many tons are hitting the tarmac but it must be a fair bit.

I'd not like to pay out for new tyres that's for sure! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

179,000 kg for that aircraft according to the Boeing web site.

Fixes: 47

I have a recollection of reading somewhere that all passenger aircraft take off and land on remould tyres.

It was in response to someone asking if remoulds were safe to use on his car.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Do you mean this. It also makes commercial sense considering the cost.

Community Veteran

I suppose much depends on the hot-cold range of the picture but as the wheels are tucked into the planes body they have to be warmer than the outer skin. Especially the metal hubs as they are bound to hold any heat longer.

FurstyFerret
Hooked

The brakes / wheels get hot on the taxi out and then are tucked safely away in the belly of the aircraft.  They don't really cool down much over the course of the flight and are often still above 100C after several hours.  A heavy aircraft with a long taxi in hot conditions can easily see brakes reach 300C before take off.  

After landing the brakes regularly exceed 500 degrees.

Community Veteran

Not quite as hot as this though, I hope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4V680UQ-k

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The last aircraft tyre I remember hearing had burst burst a tyre was on concorde.

Does it really happen more often? I'd be surprised as a burst tyre could bring down a plane as it did with concorde. I thought the tyres were replaced on a regular basis to avoid such risks.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

7up wrote:
The last aircraft tyre I remember hearing had burst burst a tyre was on concorde.

And even then it was due to negligent airport management in keeping the runway clean & clear...

Aviation is one of them few industries where preventative maintenance is commonplace, so tyres are inspected while the plane is sat at the terminal, if they're good, it goes off for another flight, if not, they ground the plane 'til it gets new boots, which given the nature of the industry is probably done pretty sharpish to prevent any repeat of the concorde crash...

Fixes: 123

twocvbloke wrote:

which given the nature of the industry is probably done pretty sharpish to prevent any repeat of the concorde crash...

From what I understand it's probably as much to do with the fact that a plane on the ground is losing money as safety.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Tyres burst with regular monotony. If you keep an eye on airlive.net or pprune.org.uk you'll see incidents reported quite often. They don't make the news unless there are repucussions, which fortunately is not often.