cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No regrets

johpal
Grafter

No regrets

Blair has given his "evidence" to the tribunal on Iraq. To me, he has revealed himself as an ambitious, calculating, cold, heartless being.
In my career, I have met many of the great and powerful (and been derided on this forum for mentioning some of them). I count myself fortunate that Blair was not among them. 10 years ago, I met a then labour MP, now regarded as an "elderly statesman", who described Blair as a modern Stalin. At the time, I could not reconcile the description; now I know better!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: No regrets

I was appalled by what I saw today.  Disgraceful from a man with so much blood on his hands.
Community Veteran

I'm not for a second defending Blair, but lets remember the issue was discussed, and voted on by Parliament - including HM Opposition.
I forget who the leader was - there have been so many.
I think he should be called to give evidence too,
and the leader of the Liberals, who were the only major party who voted against the war.
Community Veteran

how would that rotten little squirt feel if someone decided that he should be taken out?
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
I'm not for a second defending Blair, but lets remember the issue was discussed, and voted on by Parliament - including HM Opposition.
I think he should be called to give evidence too,
and the leader of the Liberals, who were the only major party who voted against the war.

It's naive to think the opposition leaders would have been given any information that isn't in the public domain already.  If Blair kept his cabinet out of the loop and lied to us about the war then why would he be honest with the opposition parties?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The answers simple, get your man up and let him testify
Community Veteran

Artmo - how do you know that HM opposition isn't given information ? .
maybe my information is a little old - but my Aunt was secretary to several MP's and the Lord's over the years - and I was in and out Parliament many times when I was young and my information was that the opposition are told things at times, especially at times of international tension.
Especially on international matters. How much of course only they would know but  they seem to be keeping very quiet on the matter.
We may be used to seeing the different parties bickering and exchanging hostile words in the chamber and on TV, but in the Westminster tea rooms and restaurants, and pubs within the division bell area where they are to be seen chatting away like good friends and confidants  at times.
I think it very much of public interest as to why the Parliament  voted in favour of the war supported by HM Opposition - they are just as answerable to the public as are  the government benches.  
Community Veteran

You miss the point Mal.  If Blair didn't keep his cabinet informed what makes you think he would do differently with the opposition?
I am aware that the opposition is given information but it's up to the government as to what this is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mal0z
How much of course only they would know but  they seem to be keeping very quiet on the matter.

Don't think they're keeping quiet for its own sake. Oppositions are always quiet at times like this, there's no mileage in making rash or crass statements until the inquiry is complete (as Cameron has indeed been quoted this morning) As mal0z says oppositions are almost certainly advised about the direction of policy if they are not actually invited to comment or participate in its construction.
Blair and Brown have proved to be a couple of politics megalomaniacs seemingly incapable of accepting advice from anybody, whether they make a show of asking for it or not.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.