cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No pay rise or me this year

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

No pay rise or me this year

My employers can't afford to give its a pay rise this year - they made a loss last year!
How do I apply for a job as an MP?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3107276/MPs-10-pay-rise-despite-public-anger-74-000-salary-p...
This is such considering the rate of inflation (or lack of), by the government's own figures.
Again, we are just going to roll over and accept it.
21 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: No pay rise or me this year

A lot of money for doing nothing.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah typical isn't it, wonder what else they will defect from. Should we be shocked though?
Community Veteran

A good MP works very hard for their constituents and can be good value for money. The good ones earn their keep. The pay of the PM et al is being rapidly out paced by senior executives outside of Government, It is those remuneration packages which should be controlled.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: doris
How do I apply for a job as an MP?
http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
A good MP works very hard for their constituents and can be good value for money. The good ones earn their keep.

Unfortunately I have bumped into my local MPs in a social connection over the years and I would not give them a job above middle management. One I use too see regularly at a pub quiz and it was surprising how many questions on politics he use to get wrong and then argue that his answer was right. 
nanotm
Pro

you'd be better paid as a HR person in the NHS and have far less to do (sit behind a desk or wander around the hospital with a clipboard gasbagging with anyone feel like) or you could be an MP and have to go to meetings all the time when your not sitting in the house, at your constituency you will have to sit around gasbagging with people who make your skin crawl .....
and of course the healthcare HR worker gets paid 25k+ more than an MP Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Let's get real £74k a year is not a lot of money  Roll eyes
If a bod can take time off from his proper job for five years and live on that he is only going to be middle management anyway. So don't expect too much from your MP  
The high fliers will be parachuted into a safe seat and won't be meeting the likes of you or me  Angry
Ooeer I live in Rural North Yorkshire and met my new Tory MP last week  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

I went for tea and coffee with mine before the election and said well done to her in the street when we went swimming the day after, she's just a normal person who cares about the community and hopefully she will do great things for us, well she would struggle to be worse than the person before her ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

It's not the actual cost that annoys me...we as a country waste more than that on senseless traffic schemes etc each year. It's the cynical way it has been done.

Quote..
"DAVID Cameron’s salary will rise to almost £150,000 after he ditched his threat to block a 10.3 per cent increase in MPs’ pay."..
IF I was critical I would accuse him of taking this stance BEFORE the election perhaps maybe to win, or just not lose, public support?
There is no doubt in my mind that if he approved this before the election, we would be looking at a much different government structure than we are now. With a hung government at least.
BUT THEN I'M NOT A CYNIC..honest!!  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Let's get real £74k a year is not a lot of money  Roll eyes
Oh! Well, I'm bloody poor then, I have decent (Engineering Degree) qualifications and a decent enough job but I have to support a family of four on a lot less that that.
Whether you consider £74k a lot or not is very relative.  Many hard working people have to survive on considerably less than I earn (and their taxes, as well as mine, contribute to these public salaries).
Yes, I agree that many corporate managers are paid excessive amounts for what they do (and many NHS HR managers (and the like) are a waste of space let alone the money they earn get paid.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Maybe MP's are thinking to the not so distant future when the EU's workload shifts back here where it belongs.
Community Veteran

That will be when they will plan to lose..same money on the opposition - no responsibility!!

Oops...the cynic in me escaped again. Roll eyes
Community Veteran

The MPs salary is not set by them but by an independent body that submits its recommendations to the government.
At the start of this parliament the Prime Minister froze all ministerial salaries which will mean a 10 year freeze by the end of this Parliament. I don't know if ministers will take the extra MP salary. Undecided
As already mentioned £74k is not a particularly high salary for the responsibilities of the job.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Maybe MP's are thinking to the not so distant future when the EU's workload shifts back here where it belongs.
Have a look at what could be happening to Welsh Assembly members pay in that case.  Wink
See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-30177498