Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No need for a PC anymore

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

No need for a PC anymore

This chap cannot be serious  Shocked      No one needs a PC any longer, according to Apple's CEO !!  LMFAO
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/tim-cook-reckons-that-the-ipad-pro-is-the-final-nail-in-t...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
48 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: No need for a PC anymore

its amusing, apple exec's have said the same thing before and even despite the fanboism effect it still hasn't come true, desktop pc's might be getting reduced in numbers in office space but its more likely down to surface tabs than apple ones, (not a slur but the surface was designed primarily for work whilst the I-pad was designed primarily for consumption) true some early adopters flocked to the ipad in droves but a lot left it when the surface was released, and this is the first apparently serious attempt at recapturing that market, which means it took them roughly 3 years to figure out how to do it .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

...and here's me thinking that PC stood for Personal Computer Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

he's probably right though.
the vast majority of people (and we're talking about home users here) don't "need" a PC (ie a desktop computer).
they can do pretty much everything on other devices, and those device are more convenient for use.
the days of having a big box and screen in the corner of the house are long gone. migration from desktop to laptop started a long time ago, and the migration from laptop to tablet is well on its way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's very true. But of course you have to ask yourself how close to Apple's foot did the bullet go, considering I am typing this on an Apple Mac, which I am convinced is a Desktop Computer.  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, given the price of the iPad Pro, I think I'll stick to my traditional desktop PCs for now.
There are much cheaper desktop 'PC alternatives' though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mook
That's very true. But of course you have to ask yourself how close to Apple's foot did the bullet go, considering I am typing this on an Apple Mac, which I am convinced is a Desktop Computer.  Cheesy

yeah you're typing it on a, what i assume must be an, iMac.
but do you actually "need" an iMac?
could you do everything you do on a laptop and tablet?
i think it's clear that when he said "PC" he meant desktop computer.
Community Veteran

As I see it at present "most" people can do "most" domestic things on an iPad or similar but for "serious" stuff they keep a "proper PC".
I personally just don't trust the Apple environment enough, or find it capable enough, to lose the PC.
I know of one old lady (a neighbour) whose family bought her an iPad a year or so ago and has now totally abandoned her PC - indeed I scrapped it for her (It was running XP and I archived relevant data).
But I must say that she is very intelligent (University graduate around 1950 or so) and has all her marbles in her mid-eighties.
Even the younger generation in my family, whilst wedded to their mobile devices, keep a PC/laptop as well. Some are Microsoft, some Apple and some are other alternatives.

Proper PC = IBM compatible Personal Computer.
I prefer a PC to a laptop. Bigger screen, a proper keyboard and mouse fully interchangeable components.
Community Veteran

@ Strat, how many parts (or ancilliaries/accessories) of your current PCs are actually 'compatible' with the original IBM PC?  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

No longer needing a PC?? Well, how do they expect PC gamers to run high-spec games on a dirty old ipad? Silly apple, get with the Program.exe... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: chenks76

yeah you're typing it on a, what i assume must be an, iMac. but do you actually "need" an iMac?

Well to be honest with you when I bought it I didn't, my purchase was based on my experience with my iPad. But I did some research prior to buying this and I seen that I could 'replace' my Windows machine with it, and I could also run Windows as a VM on at as well.
I've had this machine now for about 6 months, and haven't looked back, so much so that I'm going to buy an Apple Laptop as well. In my day job I do a lot of mathematical modelling that is done on a Windows PC using Intel's MKL so I virtualised my Windows 8.1 PC and installed on my iMac using Parallels. When I run my models on the VM they are solved quicker than on the stand alone Windows Machine!
could you do everything you do on a laptop and tablet?

For me, no, there's no laptop or tablet (yet) that has the grunt I require to do my work.
My portfolio optimiser has been ran on Windows tablet, but it got so hot it shutdown!
i think it's clear that when he said "PC" he meant desktop computer.

Yes, but in my book my iMac is exactly that, as it's hardly portable! OK I know he was taking about generic Intel / AMD units but all the same.

Quote from: w23
@ Strat, how many parts (or ancilliaries/accessories) of your current PCs are actually 'compatible' with the original IBM PC?  Cheesy

The copper tracks on the motherboard Cheesy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I want something where if one bit breaks, I don't need to scrap it.
BTW How much would it cost for a laptop with a 24" or 27" screen?

Community Veteran

For me, no, there's no laptop or tablet (yet) that has the grunt I require to do my work.

i'd be willing to bet that my current Macbook Pro has more "grunt" than your iMac  Wink
and there are many laptops in the market what would outperform the iMacs.
Yes, but in my book my iMac is exactly that, as it's hardly portable! OK I know he was taking about generic Intel / AMD units but all the same.

no you have misunderstood what i said.
i believe he is including apple desktop computers in his theory - so it's not a dig at non-apple desktop IMO.
as i said, for the vast majority of home users he's right. they simply don't "need" a desktop computer (of any brand).