cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more 'youths'?

mikko
Grafter

No more 'youths'?

Years ago my local paper (and probably national press too),when reporting on court cases involving young males of say 17 - 20 years of age would use the term 'youth'. I notice now though that the term 'man' is always used. 'Woman' instead of 'girl' is also used.
Does anyone know when the change occurred? (Younger forumites may not know what I'm on about as I'm 71).
4 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: No more 'youths'?

at least a decade ago, more accurately it was part of the big political correct language push on the correct describing words that wouldn't offend the scummers who'd just been bounced into a cozy cell as part of the criminal rights act.......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Only people 10-17 are tried in Youth Courts. Once a person reaches 18 they are a man or a woman.
mikko
Grafter

Yes, I know about the youth courts but I remember a time when anyone up to 21 was called a 'youth' and wondered exactly when it was phased out of use by the press. The answer pointing to the PC brigade seems most logical.
Other changes I've seen in my time include making it compulsory for primary school pupils to be collected from school (contrast with sending them unaccompanied on evacuation during the war to stay with who knows who.).
Thunderclap
Grafter

So what about that Yoof Culture of the 1980's? People don't say youths these days, it's more likely, chavs.