cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more dial up.

Community Veteran
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 33
Fixes: 1
Registered: 08-10-2010

No more dial up.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23877364
Plusnet,  man the phones...expect  a lot of enquiries .  Smiley
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,345
Thanks: 609
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: No more dial up.

Except plusnet has already jumped ship.
See this thread.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117940.0.html
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17,253
Thanks: 904
Fixes: 105
Registered: 11-01-2008

Re: No more dial up.

PN might have abandoned a free back up, i thought there was still a paid for service..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,345
Thanks: 609
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: No more dial up.

I don't remember any announcement that the backup dial-up was to be abandoned, or any email. But it clearly has been.
"Paying extra for every little thing" could be the new catchy advertising slogan of plusnet.
Or perhaps plusnet has been taken over by Easyjet?
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: No more dial up.

I often wonder how dial-up was implemented at the ISP side of things. Did they literally have thousands of modems running on several computers with several thousand phone lines? Or was it somehow converted at ISP level and routed via optical to the ISP?
Always wanted to know that and never thought to ask here before lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,345
Thanks: 609
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: No more dial up.

I remember being with V21 which often conked out.
Got fed up complaining so as they were literally just up the road from me I paid them a visit.
All I could see was a couple of dozen PC's in the room.
Apart from knocking very hard on the door and telling them what I thought of their service I never got around to ask, is this it?
Thunderclap
Grafter
Posts: 673
Registered: 08-09-2008

Re: No more dial up.

Have a box of old skool ISA and PCI modem cards from redundant 1990's computers that were kept just-in-case someone might need them in the future. Well that future came and went and now they're just another sad box of electronic scrap. As for those now needing a service backup, use a fast 3G dongle. Thinks, somewhere there's a corresponding box of ancient CD ROMs for Virgin Net, AOL and Compuserve - with all you can eat data plans at 1p per minute + £18.99 per month.
How did those V92 modems go again... bip pip bip bzzzz grzzzp grzp bip schhhhhhhh [ The Internet was connecting ]
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,924
Thanks: 169
Fixes: 3
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: No more dial up.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was another speed complaint Smiley
Didn't know they were stopping dial-up, my sister still uses a btinternet address and got a nice e-mail from them. Basically to keep her e-mail address she either has to pay a monthly fee or have BT broadband. Nice.
Luckily she isn't too bothered about having to change her e-mail address - think I'll suggest that she registers a domain name.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,786
Thanks: 1,133
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: No more dial up.

Quote from: Thunderclap
How did those V92 modems go again... bip pip bip bzzzz grzzzp grzp bip schhhhhhhh [ The Internet was connecting ]


Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: No more dial up.

Quote from: Thunderclap
Have a box of old skool ISA and PCI modem cards from redundant 1990's computers that were kept just-in-case someone might need them in the future. Well that future came and went and now they're just another sad box of electronic scrap. As for those now needing a service backup, use a fast 3G dongle. Thinks, somewhere there's a corresponding box of ancient CD ROMs for Virgin Net, AOL and Compuserve - with all you can eat data plans at 1p per minute + £18.99 per month.
How did those V92 modems go again... bip pip bip bzzzz grzzzp grzp bip schhhhhhhh [ The Internet was connecting ]

Like you I also have several PCI and even AMR modems floating round as spares just_in_case they were ever needed but frankly the last time I really needed one was what... probably about 3 years ago when BT screwed up our renumbering of the phone line (which has consequently given us MORE unwanted calls). It seems pointless keeping them really along with the floppy drives I have sat out in the shed. To think years ago they were considered crucial to any PC and these days... well.. they're not!
Having said that, I was looking at dialup modems on ebay a few weeks back and many of them are still priced up at pretty high prices. I doubt they sell but they're still trying!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,786
Thanks: 1,133
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: No more dial up.

They probably take on an antique technology value...way different from their old functional value.
Antiques Roadshow here we come.....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Thunderclap
Grafter
Posts: 673
Registered: 08-09-2008

Re: No more dial up.

Quote from: Strat


One day children will ask, granddad, was it those sounds from the modems that made you deaf?
Quote from: Sprite
Like you I also have several PCI and even AMR modems floating round as spares just_in_case they were ever needed but frankly the last time I really needed one was what... probably about 3 years ago when BT screwed up our renumbering of the phone line (which has consequently given us MORE unwanted calls). It seems pointless keeping them really along with the floppy drives I have sat out in the shed. To think years ago they were considered crucial to any PC and these days... well.. they're not!
Having said that, I was looking at dialup modems on ebay a few weeks back and many of them are still priced up at pretty high prices. I doubt they sell but they're still trying!

eBay is always a good place to hunt for retro computing. Search on 'Vintage Computing'... facinating.
Sadly all of this tech we spent so much time over ends up as junk. Recently, I helped someone disassemble a rusting Power Mac G4 for scrapping. Yes, Macs do die. When this G4 was new, he could get..... well, there's never been anything sexy about having a PC, but having a Mac...
 Cheesy
Meanwhile, looking into this cardboard box there's a BT Web TV box - It was a box you connected to the cathode ray TV via scart and then the other to the internet via a phone jack. It was a basic browser and a modem in a mini box with an over sized remote control keyboard. They were all the rage for six months in 2001. You could also hack the box and change the carrier - this one was frigged for remote access to Virgin Net. Allegedly these are a very primative Linux distro on the inside? Sadly today though, it's a silver painted metal brick.