cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more BBC HD Channel.... BBC2 will become BBC2 HD soon. BBC3 BBC4 implications

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

No more BBC HD Channel.... BBC2 will become BBC2 HD soon. BBC3 BBC4 implications

BBC 3 & 4 HD programmes to only be on iPlayer....
....initially when BBC HD becomes BBC Two HD.

Quote: .........
There will be an announcement soon confirming the date when the DQF decision to close the BBC HD channel and create instead a HD version of BBC Two will be implemented.
After that date, there will be a period of time when the only way to view programmes made for BBC Three and BBC Four in HD will be to do so via the BBC iPlayer.

Temporarily.

I think the longer term idea is that HD programmes made for BBC3 & BBC4 will also appear on BBC Two HD, as they do with BBC HD at the moment.
There will be BBC One HD, and BBC Two HD, with BBC3 SD and BBC4 SD transmissions.
If you don't have a HD TV, or HD PVR, you will still get the SD versions of BBC One & BBC Two.
And as mentioned all options on iPlayer, via Internet 720p HD or On Demand from SKY 1080i HD.
Both the BBC and Channel 4 plan to launch up to 2 FTA HD channels each on a new DVB-T2 multiplex some time this year.
BBC Two recently cleared out most if not all children's daytime programming, to BBC children's channels making space for extra programmes from BBC3 & BBC 4, once BBC Two HD is up and running, currently filled by old SD Repeats.
I think I've got all the facts correct on this, and not too technical.
30 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: No more BBC HD Channel.... BBC2 will become BBC2 HD soon. BBC3 BBC4 implications

I find it a little annoying that local stuff is not yet HD so when watching the news on BBC1 HD, when it's over to the regions for local news I have to switch to BBC1 SD.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

Re: No more BBC HD Channel.... BBC2 will become BBC2 HD soon. BBC3 BBC4 implications

BBC Two HD launches 26th March 2013.
BBC HD will disappear.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Fine by me - so long as they keep the SD content on 4 (or more) channels.

Infinity
Pro

On my Freeview lite HD PVR's, I can receive BBC1 HD, and BBC1 SD (local news etc)
So I would presume BBC2 HD will just take over the BBC HD Channel, with BBC2 SD still being available.

On my Freeview lite SD PVR's, I can receive BBC1, BBC2 etc no problem, there is no HD option in the tuning menu.

Exactly the same as above for ITV HD/SD, and Channel4 HD/SD, on both HD/SD PVRs

Community Veteran

Full details given here:
Channel Info
Razer
Grafter

Not that I watch television, but I'm still wondering; is there something I am missing? BBC1 HD is ending in favour of broadcasting BBC2 HD? This is considered progress? From the article that artmo links above:
"BBC One HD has already proved to be highly valued by our audiences and I'm delighted that we're able to follow this with the launch of BBC Two in HD."
So valued that they are ceasing its broadcast. This doesn't make any sense to me at all. Surely it should be the addition of BBC2 HD to BBC1 HD.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Razer
BBC1 HD is ending in favour of broadcasting BBC2 HD?

No, BBC HD (i.e. not BBC1 HD) is stepping aside. BBC HD is basically a channel to air selected programmes available from any (BBC) channel/source in HD.
So, for example, whilst Top Gear is filmed in HD it is only broadcast in SD on BBC2 and so it would be selected and shown, usually as a so-called 'simulcast' (simultaneous broadcast), in HD on the BBC HD channel.
Mathew
Razer
Grafter

Oh, I see. So sort of like a separate channel with the "best" of from across the BBC channels. It makes sense now. Thanks.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, spot on.
Given that the 'best' pretty much resides on BBC 1 and BBC 2, at least far as the general majority is concerned, it makes sense that they are both made available as dedicated HD channels.
Razer
Grafter

Yes, that's what I think. I still can't help laughing at myself at being so out of touch with television that I didn't even know BBC HD was a separate channel. ha. Next you'll be telling me Music Box doesn't exist any more. ...
MJN
Aspiring Pro

I won't ruin things for you...  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Does all this mean that I'll have to upgrade my crystal set  Cry
Community Veteran

........the cat's whisker nadger Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Bet you were coiled ready to post that comment and couldn't resist (or)  Wink
Nadger goes to earth  Cry