Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No long-term future for BBC licence fee, MPs say

Steve
Seasoned Pro

No long-term future for BBC licence fee, MPs say

Am I missing something?
The best alternative to the licence fee, the report concluded, would be a compulsory broadcasting levy paid by all households, regardless of whether they watch TV, or how they watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31623659
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: No long-term future for BBC licence fee, MPs say

You mean that it will be effectively an addition to the rates and compulsory - great idea NOT
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Rates ? ?    = Council Tax,....  Grin
Community Veteran

A levy is just another name for the current licence - the beeb is given guarantied income!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

I do hope the BBC doesn't simply become another commercial TV venture.
Irrespective of any bias they may have it has to be said that they do make some great programs and it will be tragic to have them spoiled by adverts  Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I think the BBC should take a few steps back.
Stick to just a couple of quality channels both on tv and radio.
Currently they've spread themselves too thin and as a result become too expensive.
Diluted themselves to an all round blandness and the program ads have become just as bad as commercial station adverts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

They've made it far too easy for people to watch on the Internet, especially "Catch-up" and therefore legally avoid the TV licence.
It should certainly NOT become subscription and I'm not sure I'd want to see commercial advertising but advertising would be better than a compulsory add-on to council tax.
Personally I think it should come out of general taxation which means those that can afford to pay would be paying. That would also deal with the "argument" about free TV licences for over 75's.
If the BBC didn't have to pay Capita to administer the Licence that would be another saving, never mind the "cut" that Paypoint get for processing the payment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Think about it this way, if you forget to renew your TV licence, you have some tee double-U @ hammer on the door accusing you of criminal behaviour, but if the licence is scrapped in favour of an "Everyone has a right to use it regardless" system, then all those miserable goits with their often-revoked implied right of access are out of a job and will no longer harass those of us with terrible memories that forget things after a few months, never mind a year... Grin
Plus, not having to pay the wages of those goits in their fake detector vans (just a minibus with blacked out windows full of goits ready to attack) means the license replacement should be cheaper, so it's a win-win... Cool
Community Veteran

Those gits might think they have "implied right of access" and you can withdraw it by writing to TV Licensing and that way they have to stay on the public pavement Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Anotherone
you can withdraw it by writing to TV Licensing

Nah, easier way is to point a camera at them and tell them their implied right of access is hereby revoked... Cool
They don't like being on camera, so they bravely run away... Grin
Community Veteran

The proposal is worse than current.
So basically they not happy there is legal ways to avoid paying, and its effectively a rename and to close those loopholes.
I would support continued tv licence if the following applied.
It can only be used to fund news, documentary, educational type programmes and radio.
Its means tested.
Sport, entertainment (especially celeb stuff) is self funded.
Any free to air channel can claim for funds from the pot (for news, documentary, educational type programmes and radio)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
They've made it far too easy for people to watch on the Internet, especially "Catch-up" and therefore legally avoid the TV licence.
It should certainly NOT become subscription and I'm not sure I'd want to see commercial advertising but advertising would be better than a compulsory add-on to council tax.
Personally I think it should come out of general taxation which means those that can afford to pay would be paying. That would also deal with the "argument" about free TV licences for over 75's.
If the BBC didn't have to pay Capita to administer the Licence that would be another saving, never mind the "cut" that Paypoint get for processing the payment.

Too much common sense.
Community Veteran

And we know MP's don't have any!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This rears its ugly head again on the sky news website today. As I license payer I find this getting quite disgusting. Shame on you BBC/MP'S
"The German model of a broadcasting levy on all households is our preferred alternative to the TV licence"

http://news.sky.com/story/1436689/licence-fee-needs-updating-bbc-boss-argues
Community Veteran

The tax payer is a soft target.
Along with the BBC it's only a matter of time before the subject of tax payer funded political parties comes up again.