cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No clear link between passive smoking and lung cancer says Daily Fail

RichAllen
Grafter

No clear link between passive smoking and lung cancer says Daily Fail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2526495/No-clear-link-passive-smoking-lung-cancer-scientis...
What the hell?!
I am VERY anti-smoking, always have been, especially since Dad has lost 2 out of 3 of his sisters in the last 10 years ro smoking related illness, and my Grandad died in August 1997 having smoked a pipe most of his adult life.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: No clear link between passive smoking and lung cancer says Daily Fail

And a certain entertainer, who never smoked in his life....... by the name of Roy Hudd.... who died of Lung Cancer.... caused by passive smoking, due to working the "club circuit" in the North... is not part of the DM article, I suspect....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That is probably correct BUT living with another smoker - parents specially - can predispose others to smoke
Also the residual smell of smoking turns my stomach
As an aside - why do you think it funny or clever to always refer to the Daily Mail as the Daly Fail given that it is a profitable and successful newspaper even if you don't agree with its politics http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20441968
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
And a certain entertainer, who never smoked in his life....... by the name of Roy Hudd.... who died of Lung Cancer.... caused by passive smoking, due to working the "club circuit" in the North... is not part of the DM article, I suspect....

Did you mean Roy Castle, by any chance Wink
Edit: Rumours are that he was a cigar smoker but that seems unconfirmed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Ooops.... Yes indeedy....  Embarrassed
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: shutter

Did you mean Roy Castle, by any chance Wink
Edit: Rumours are that he was a cigar smoker but that seems unconfirmed.

well he appeared enough times with one sticking out of his trap ........

as for the hail, for once its actually got a point, I wont bother reading the article but something was published recently in one of the scientific journals about a long term study (15 years) conducted in some secluded remote area, in one village everyone was made ot gather in the hall while a machine chugged down 20 fags every 5 mins for 6 hours a night, a second village they ran a couple of diesel engines (dotted about the area) to power the leccy, and a third village had nothing, zero incidence in village 3, 10 cases in village 2 and no cases in village 1, conclusion was passive smoking does nothing on its own, they did however go on to explain at great detail that smoke is an irritant and the effects of smoke on the lungs was to cause inflammation that meant the likely hood of a passive smoker getting cancer from actual carcinogen inhalation was far higher than for someone not exposed
I'd hazard a guess that some hack has written an article that doesn't mention the real science though and instead posted some headline grabbing stuff
(and yes I call It the hail or the wail because I disagree with the politics it has consistently displayed and the over exaggeration or outright scaremongering it undertakes at every given opportunity)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
As an aside - why do you think it funny or clever to always refer to the Daily Mail as the Daly Fail given that it is a profitable and successful newspaper even if you don't agree with its politics http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20441968

.........and very childish.
RichAllen
Grafter

SMH, if the Mods don't like me calling it the Daily Fail, you have the power to edit the title of this thread, obviously I'd rather you didn't, but if you're so enraged by it, do what you want.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't see why they should, it's not breaking any forum rules as far as I can see.
Yes, it's a sarcastic put down (one that I've heard before too).
I've done the same in my posts about other things.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quite so, Alex.
It's a natural human response to satirise that which we despise, fear, or have no respect for.
eg Apart from this forum, I would not refer to outsourcing company Capita without an 'r' after the initial letter.
Not young enough to know everything

I seem to remember there was a thread some time ago where this kind of satirising was banned.
There was a bit of an outcry and in the end it was restricted to just anything to do with PN.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

Openreach has been referred to as Out of Reach..... Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Just found the thread I was referring to.

Community Veteran

well he appeared enough times with one sticking out of his trap ........

With ref to the last line.... I have just spent some time examining all the photos of Roy Castle, on Google images., ( well the first page  anyway)... and NOT ONE has him with a cigar  "sticking out of his trap"... so please be good enough to back up that statement with some pics ?

Before I mentioned the rumours I also did extensive searching with no confirmed reports or photos...

...just the rumours.