cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wonder We're Skint

Community Veteran

No Wonder We're Skint

Read this in the papers in the week and now had it sent to me from a Spanish site.  Is there any wonder we're broke?
http://www.spanishvida.com/2010/05/13/spanish-tv-show-tells-how-to-get-benefits-in-the-uk/
Hopefully it's one of the savings DC and his team will make Smiley
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Waste of Our Money

hopefully indeed..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: No Wonder We're Skint

Broke? Grin Spk for yourself, Artmo i reckon you should run as mp.
jmd
Grafter

I am sure that EU folk have to work for more than one day to get benefits and then if they leave their job voluntarily or sacked for misconduct they won't get anything anyhow the same as any British person!
SRD
Grafter

It may well be that benefits are available from day 2, but that will be for everyone, much as the other countries apply their rules to everyone, after all, it would be against EU regulations not to do so.  Should there be alternative rules for different groups of people we would have to employ the civil servants to do all the research to find out who belongs to which group.  Again, we look at low tax or fair tax, but rest assured, we can't have both.
Community Veteran

From the article.  Spain, Germany and France have different qualifying periods to the UK. 

In Spain, however, foreigners can claim benefits only after working there for more than a year and can receive at least £415 a month for between 120 and 720 days, depending on how long they paid into the system before losing their job.
In Germany, foreign EU nationals have to work for a year before they can claim, and then receive benefits for only six months. In France, foreigners must have worked for six months full-time.
SRD
Grafter

That may be so, I don't know, although I understand that it is illegal for European countries to have different qualifying rules, in fact several EU court rulings against the UK have been on exactly that point, however it still doesn't alter the fact that if there are different rules civil servants have to be employed to check up on the claims, if there's one simple rule far fewer civil servants are required.
Community Veteran

I can't speak for Germany or France so have to go on what I've read in the article.  I can, however, Speak for Spain.  I spend a bit of time in the country and have a lot of friends who live there permanently and can confirm that their qualifying period for benefits is greater than the UK.
BTW They also have different pension and health arrangements but that's another discussion.
SRD
Grafter

Hmm, I also have friends who live and work in Spain, and Germany, and they tell me that, although the rules are different from UK rules, that those rules apply equally to all EU citizens, but, as I said, I only have their word for it, I have no personal experience of it.
Community Veteran

I have no experience of our system I have to say, but is it true that a UK citizen will get the benefits this woman spoke about if they had done just one day's work  Shocked
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
Hopefully it's one of the savings DC and his team will make Smiley

Lets hope.  Angry  This is all wrong thay should have to work for 1 year full time before thay can get benefits, and like Germany thay should only get benefits for six months, and if thay can not get a job after the six months is up thay should be deported.
itsme
Grafter

In the UK Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) is payable in 2 ways. First is contribution based JSA were the claimant has worked and paid enough NI to be paid the basic allowance (this does not include housing benefit). Contribution based JSA is only payable for 6 months.
The second JSA is income based which is claimed if if you do not meet the Contribution based JSA or it been claiming for 6 months Contribution based JSA.