cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Survivors from Airliner Crash

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: No Survivors from Airliner Crash

Well no @shutter if an alternative is on offer, but in this day and age it's a fair question to ask I think.

Edit. A quick check tells me there are around 350 of this type of aircraft, so at a guess probably most of them have been grounded.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Hero
Fixes: 9

Nowadays with code-sharing you sometimes don't even know which airline you'll be flying with, let alone the type of aircfraft.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Regarding the UK Ban on flights......5 aircraft of the type, were bound for the UK. at least 3 of those have now turned back towards their departing airports, within the last 15 minutes.

737 turnarounds.png

2 Turkish & 1 other turned round.....

2 TUI, based in Manchester, 1 landed, the other still on the way home.....

https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview/1fc6c7a3,1fc6f97c,1fc6c352,1fc6c589

tui flights 737 max 8.png

Community Veteran

All "outbound" Turkish airlines 737`s are returning to Istanbul.....

All "inbound" remain on course, inbound to Turkey

Turkish flights.png

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Mav wrote:

An interesting video about Air Canada Flight 143 which, in 1983, ran out of fuel halfway into the flight. Amazing co-incidences and bad luck yet all survived.

I saw a reenactment of that once on TV it was utterly gripping. Amazing how the guy managed to bring down a "dead stick" plane directly onto a runway with everyone surviving.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

The FAA has issued a Continued Airworthiness Notification to the International Community (CANIC) related to the Boeing 737-8 and Boeing 737-9 (737 MAX) fleet. The document is available at .

faa safety notice.png

Idiots. They're more concerned about upholding the reputation rather than safety. They've no idea what caused the crash and yet they're declaring the aircraft airworthy? Clearly something isn't right..

Community Veteran

Yup, been there before, flight booked with one operator and you then end up on a different companys bird for whatever reason - presumably unexpected maintenance on the original one that was intended.

Bus companies do similar too.

Community Veteran

More Airlines added to the "grounded" list.... Icleandair, Ireland, Norwegian & TUI all halting 737 MAX flights.

EDIT EDIT EDIT....... Add   FRANCE to the list  ........

and yet..........

Boeing statement....... ( from the Flightradar24 twitter site) ..

boeing safety statement.png

Community Veteran

Boeing must be getting really worried now.....

Add to the list...

Italy,..... Poland....Belgium,..... Netherlands.... Norway.....

Also their shares on the stockmarket have lost a lot of value ......

Community Veteran

European Aviation Safety Agency  ( EASA ). issues the following  - Suspending ALL Boeing 737 MAX operations IN EUROPE......

european air safety.png

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Too many loose ends for my liking. This is a brand new aircraft and yet two have fallen out the sky in very short order. Would I be happy flying on one? I don't think so. It's OK if you know what the problem is. Accidents do happen, engines go wrong etc but unexplained or lack of training - mentioned earlier in the thread. This isn't any different to the Comet episode when that started falling out of the sky. First you get the, it's OK. Next they ground the entire fleet.

While the US might make a lot of noise, in the grand scheme of things, they have suddenly found they are very small players. Even more so when lots of other countries bring their indifference on aircraft safety to a complete and utter halt.

@7up @Mav  I must be just as morbid, as looking at aircraft accidents is something I do fairly frequently. One reason I watch the TheFlightChannel on Youtube a lot. Given the amount of mileage I do each year on planes, it really should be my last port of call.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

While the US might make a lot of noise, in the grand scheme of things, they have suddenly found they are very small players. Even more so when lots of other countries bring their indifference on aircraft safety to a complete and utter halt.

ADD TO THE LIST...... UAE

uae 737 turnaround.png

I wonder if there was a "Money Back Guarantee" given with the sales contracts on all these aircraft....  and will the airlines be able to sue Boeing for loss of earnings, due to this ....

EDIT EDIT EDIT....  as of 19:30 G.M.T. 

remaining 737 operators.png

Community Veteran

How much "clout" does BOEING have with the FAA  ? 

seems a bit of a "strong" denial by the FAA in support of BOEING,

FAA STATEMENT.png

Community Veteran

Well it affects an american company - of course they're going to support them and ignore the blindingly obvious.

The UK governments do exactly the same - look at the mad cow thing - ministers back in the 80s claiming it was all perfectly safe etc.

Hero
Fixes: 9

Would insurance companies make the premiums unaffordable in a situation like this?  The flight market is very competitive nowadays, and most of what the passenger pays is tax, fuel surcharge, and insurance.  Some years ago it was calculated that Ryanair made 38p per passenger per flight.  The 737 is a favourite among short-haul carriers, and budget airlines keep costs down by only using one type of aircraft.  If those using these particular aircraft would have to increase ticket prices to cover increased insurance, it might drive one or two out of business.