Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Survivors from Airliner Crash

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

No Survivors from Airliner Crash

Ethiopian Airways flight ET302 crashed shortly after take off from Addis Abbaba early this morning.

7 British people amongst those who died.

The plane, a Boeing 737 MAX 8 has not been in service long.... first flight October 2018.... ( about 5 months)...

This is the second BRAND NEW plane of the 737 MAX series to crash within a few months of being in service

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/10/africa/ethiopian-airlines-crash-boeing-max-8-intl/index.html

Ethopian Flight ET302.png

147 REPLIES 147
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: No Survivors from Airliner Crash

A couple of pics from the crash site. There's nowt left. Must have hit the ground at a hell of a lick.

ea1.jpg

ea2.jpg

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

So sad, any aircraft disaster is devastating to all.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Always suspicious when they crash so soon after take off, but no doubt they will find out the cause soon enough unlike that MH370 some five years back. It's just the sheer numbers each time that gets me.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Very tragic.

Hopefully they will find the black box intact and be able to identify the cause of the crash.

I am sure I read somewhere that pilot training takes 18 months if correct that surprises me as I thought it would take much longer.

Not that I am suggesting it's pilot error but this was almost a new plane.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The CAA says on their website that commercial pilot training takes the best part of two years, and I think this was confirmed on the mini-series about easiJet pilot training shown last year.  In countries that have national service, pilots often come from the air force where a lot of the basics have already been covered.  I don't know whether this might be the case in Ethiopia though.

Yes, worrying that two aircraft of the same type have been lost in such a short period of time.

Highlighted
Fixes: 394

According to a Daily Mail report:

Boeing issued a safety warning last November about its new 737 Max jets which could have a fault that causes them to nose-dive. The MAX-8 planes were launched in 2016 and are used by major airlines all around the world.

I assume it's profits before lives or they would've been grounded while the fault was investigated and rectified. Then again, perhaps this had nothing to do with the known fault?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Mav 

BBC News one hour ago. China grounds all of its 737 Max 8s.  

Not looking good for Boeing is it. Sad

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Let us hope that other countries follow China and ground these planes until the problem is sorted.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Mrs Minivanman tells me she saw on the news earlier China made parts for the plane, has she got that wrong?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman (apologies 🙂 ) China makes parts for the whole world. You make it sound as if China equates with poor quality.

Having lived out in the Far East, even 10 years ago, I was rather taken aback by how far advance they were. Up to then, I'd always thought of the Far East (apart from Japan) as just producing stuff that was cheap, nasty and made in a tin hut. Even such basic items such as energy saving light bulbs had been in use for years before we even got them. A lot of their equipment makes us look like we are in the dark ages. Suppose you could say the same with their fast trains. You'd probably find that most parts of the electronic device, laptop, smartphone etc used to post on here comes from China.

So yes, I'd be amazed if some parts didn't come from China.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Seems you are replying to my comment @idonno so no, I was not trying to make it sound like that - those days are long gone and besides the guys have not long landed a rocket on the other side of the moon!

Stuff made on that side of the world was rubbish at one time and a lot of it still is, and I'm sure many here would subscribe to that view epsecially if they have inadverdantly bought knock off stuff from China via ebay and orders that take literally weeks to arrive or not at all.

Now of course and in so many other areas they have come along in leaps, bounds and in some very fast trains!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/03/buying-online-china-aliexpress-beware-pitfalls

PS. Closer to home, but when living in France I was also taken aback by how far ahead of us they were there as well. First time I saw a hand held remote credit card reader for example, and long before they turned up here in the UK. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Interesting semi-technical article written in February concerning the Lion air crash, which was similar. Talks about the engine position having been moved further forward on the Max8 and then Boeing having to introduce software to compensate for it, because it made the plane unstable. Video explains how it works.

The important bit covers the fact that nobody knew that this software had been installed and that it could be overridden if necessary in flight.

Seems to sound familiar!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/world/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-pilots.html

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Seems they have found the black box so possibly some answers for the cause of the accident.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Very tragic.

Hopefully they will find the black box intact and be able to identify the cause of the crash.

I am sure I read somewhere that pilot training takes 18 months if correct that surprises me as I thought it would take much longer.

Not that I am suggesting it's pilot error but this was almost a new plane.

I have a relative who is a pilot. Worryingly you can BUY hours on airliners with a lot of european airlines. That's right, BUY.

Sounds bad.. but at the same time it's not.

You pay the airline the wonga, they then in turn employ the pilot (who already has a licence on other aircraft) at a lower rate of pay to work for X hours that the pilot paid for. Ultimately the pilot gains the hours, the airline gains paid-for labour and a profit. A lot of pilots are unhappy at the way the industry is going - many are struggling to find work yet alone work that pays enough to live on. My relative told me a few years back they were over £80k in debt for all their training / learning to fly costs and that every pilot they know is worried about their job security - if they have one and that many are out of work and struggling to find employment. Apparently helicopter pilots are really suffering too.

Notably my relative chose to buy hours on Airbus aircraft..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!